Goat owners--caseous lymphanietis

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss_thenorth, Jul 20, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Results are not in yet, but what if my goats have it? I have two goats--nubians, and one had a huge abscess on her neck. I couldn't isolate the two, not that I thought it would make a difference, b/c they came from the same place, but I have horses and it is not unheard of, although rare that they could get it also.

I have read alot of info on it, but am not sure what I should do about it if it is CL.

Do any of you have any info as to what I should do with the goats?

Can I sell them with this condition? Do I need to cull them? I am soo confused......

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You can sell them with FULL DISCLOSURE. You can make them their own yard and vaccinate your other goats against it. You have lots of options, its a personal choice.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    It might not be CL as I had 1 do this and it was a sticker that stuck in his neck and wasnt CL...sometimes they rub and it looks like it but wait till the tests are in before you do anything. I dont think it affects horses...never seen any . Maybe cattle but Boers are known for CL as this is where it started when they were brought over from overseas. Then the boer owners didnt care and it has spread to dairy and other goats. Some goats live with it fine and some if its internal can die. Just basically wait as the other goat has been exposed too. They should do better together. This is passed form the mucus that comes from the absess and yes people can get it. so be very careful treating it. Burn anything you use with cleaning if it is CL and wear gloves when treating. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by