Goat-Proof Chicken Feeders?

see if I can scan in my lovely "not to exact measurements"...

hang tight!
lol.png

OK worse than I thought... I had to use paint because PDF's won't upload!... you'll get the idea though (I hope)

43249_feeder.png

Last edited:
Your post does give me a chuckle. I don't mean to laugh at your situation but all I could think of was only on BYC would you see this question posted.
wink.png
I don't own goats so I have no idea how small an area they can get their mouths into. What about something like this?
60251_img00127-20101030-1311.jpg

3" PVC pipe with 4" cap screwed on to the bottom with enough space between the bottom of the pipe and the cap to let the feed come through. I actually got bigger caps for two of these feeders to give the chickens more head space but they still eat out of the one with the 4" cap on the bottom. If you have a large amount of chickens, you can just get longer PVC pipe. Mine are about two feet long. With only eight chickens I don't have to fill them very often.

Quote:
A goat is the sneakiest thing alive.... mine would lick every ounce of food out of your feeders, burp and wait for you to fill them again... while he was waiting he would be balancing himself on the tops of the feeder!
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

OK so that WON'T work.
lau.gif
And I thought horses were crafty. Not even close to a goat I guess!
gig.gif

Ever seen what a goat's tongue can do? Those feeders are very cute but I can just see the goat with his tongue down inside the cap licking up the food and leaving slobber on the pipe. EEEEEEUUUUUUWWWWW!

I once saw a clever farmer who put the horses food up very high so the goats couldn't reach it but the horses could. The goats learned to stand on the horses back and eat the food !!!!!!!! Yep, saw it with my own two eyes or I wouldn't have believed it. The horses didn't seem to care. The goats liked being up high so much they stayed on when the horse walked across the yard too. I would have liked to see what happened if they broke into a gallop! No, they were not circus folk.

As a long-time goat person about the only way I can imagine to keep the goats from a chicken feeder would be to put the feeders up on a platform that is higher than the goats could reach and have the chickens fly up to the platform to eat. Even then I wouldn't be surprised to see the goats figure out a way to stand on each other's backs and take turns eating!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ha ha I was thinking the same thing my self. I use single rung steps leading to smallish chicken doors about 4 ft of the ground to allow the chickens to get in and out of the poultry only area. Not to say the goats are not always ready to break in.

Hmmm...what about a shallow wooden box (nailed to something so the goats couldn't overturn it) with chicken wire nailed over the top. Then the chickens could peck through the wire, but maybe the goats' tongues wouldn't reach?

Back
Top Bottom