Goat-Proof Chicken Feeders?

We don't have goats but a small beagle that eats our layer pellet....she seems to like the protein perhaps? She started gaining weight and I couldn't figure out why. During the day the chickens and dog were running together. I knew the chickens would eat the dog food, so we feed her inside, but I never thought the dog would love the pellets!

I might need to snatch these ideas for feeding the chickens so that my dog will stop!

I don't have goats but I too have a problem with my dogs eating my chickens food, Since I have started adding ground chili's to the food, the dogs needless to say have not totally stopped but backed off! Donno If goats will still like it but it is worth a shot! Good luck!

Goats climb trees and mountains. So putting something "out of reach" is probably futile.

They also have a tongue that is more agile than a chicken neck. So a feeder puzzle is probably futile too.

I was going to suggest a carefully placed electric fence, but then I remembered the video of a goat licking an electric fence .

I once had a neighbor who solved this problem by keeping the chickens and goats isolated. The chickens stayed in the yard and the goats stayed in the house.

Chicken.Lytle :

Goats climb trees and mountains. So putting something "out of reach" is probably futile.

They also have a tongue that is more agile than a chicken neck. So a feeder puzzle is probably futile too.

I was going to suggest a carefully placed electric fence, but then I remembered the video of a goat licking an electric fence .

I once had a neighbor who solved this problem by keeping the chickens and goats isolated. The chickens stayed in the yard and the goats stayed in the house.

goats licking an electric fence.... god I bet mine would have if we bothered to hook it up!
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

What about a creep feeder? They use them for baby lambs and calves, so their fat mamas can't eat the rich grower grain. You can get one and adjust it super small so only the birds can get in, or rig one up on your own...just make sure when they stick their necks through, the feed is still out of reach of the giraffe tongue!
4%27%20single%20creep%20feeder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom