Goat proof feeder and duck sharing

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hello I’m trying to work on feed situation I have goats and ducks that free range as well. Currently my duck food is Inside a box i made that only they can fit in. It’s not ideal because it gets messy in there and hard to clean. I have a separate chicken coop so I’m wondering i I should either just by chick layer feed and my 2 non laying ducks can eat it or should I try to make a goat proof feeder high up in their coop so my two goats can’t reach ? I am concerned tho for bears - we live in mountains luckily they haven’t broke into anything but I wonder if chicken feed out in their coop will lure the bears in. Thanks

I have chickens, ducks, goats. All free range. I do NOT have a solution.

I have settled on once daily feedings in two different locations at substantially the same time. I feed the chickens and ducks all the same stuff (essentially, an "all flock"), then I walk abvout 250 feet and feed the goats. Sure the goasts eat a bit of the poultry feed before they follow me, but its not much.

Then I feed the rabbits (caged individually) and the recently hatched chicks (caged as a group).

I wish you every fortune in this, I've tried other methods, and could not come up with better - certainly not a way to free feed. Also, I have picturesd of my goats on top of my henhouse - and my younger goats going through holes the ducks barely make it through (I don't have big meat goats), there is no place "high enough" or "narrow enough" I've found that a duck can reach boat a goat can not.

I was really hoping to see some answers here...
My chickens share a paddock with the two bucks, atm I'm just feeding once a day when I lock the chickens up.

I have chickens, ducks, goats. All free range. I do NOT have a solution.

I have settled on once daily feedings in two different locations at substantially the same time. I feed the chickens and ducks all the same stuff (essentially, an "all flock"), then I walk abvout 250 feet and feed the goats. Sure the goasts eat a bit of the poultry feed before they follow me, but its not much.

Then I feed the rabbits (caged individually) and the recently hatched chicks (caged as a group).

I wish you every fortune in this, I've tried other methods, and could not come up with better - certainly not a way to free feed. Also, I have picturesd of my goats on top of my henhouse - and my younger goats going through holes the ducks barely make it through (I don't have big meat goats), there is no place "high enough" or "narrow enough" I've found that a duck can reach boat a goat can not.
Oh yeah same here the small opening we made in a wooden box for the ducks to get through the goat sometimes jam themselves in there and can reach droppings I swear goats get into anything ! We’re almost finished the coop once we do I can focus all energy on this feed situation and can report back if I come up with something. Thank you tho. I now just lock chicken up in run to eat for a little then take food away and let back out lol the goat run in after to lick up every single crumb smh mine are wethered males so I really need to be careful they can’t eat grain feed.

You need a maze like entry, just wide enough for a duck and long enough for a duck, then turn the passage way 90 degrees, then turn another 90 degrees. Or a "structure" made out of electric fencing.

You need a maze like entry, just wide enough for a duck and long enough for a duck, then turn the passage way 90 degrees, then turn another 90 degrees. Or a "structure" made out of electric fencing.
That’s a great idea thanks !!

That’s a great idea thanks !!
The maze type opening sounds like a good idea. But goats will try to fit through anything is what I have found with my two 2 year old Nigerian dwarf goats. watch out make sure that they don’t get stuck. I have found my goats stuck in places occasionally because they’ll try to get through any small space. The one will squeeze out through a gate, but couldn’t manage to squeeze back through the hate, so I had to secure that gate better. One time one stuck its head into an empty plastic feed bag and bawled for 10 minutes until I could get to it to take the bag off its head. 😊

Oh yeah same here the small opening we made in a wooden box for the ducks to get through the goat sometimes jam themselves in there and can reach droppings I swear goats get into anything ! We’re almost finished the coop once we do I can focus all energy on this feed situation and can report back if I come up with something. Thank you tho. I now just lock chicken up in run to eat for a little then take food away and let back out lol the goat run in after to lick up every single crumb smh mine are wethered males so I really need to be careful they can’t eat grain feed.
Speaking of wethered goats. I have two. And they so much look forward to their grain snack. I also give them baking soda and multi minerals and copper. I wonder if I am risking damage to them by letting them have grain? How much is too much?

Lol gotta love goats !! Thanks
The maze type opening sounds like a good idea. But goats will try to fit through anything is what I have found with my two 2 year old Nigerian dwarf goats. watch out make sure that they don’t get stuck. I have found my goats stuck in places occasionally because they’ll try to get through any small space. The one will squeeze out through a gate, but couldn’t manage to squeeze back through the hate, so I had to secure that gate better. One time one stuck its head into an empty plastic feed bag and bawled for 10 minutes until I could get to it to take the bag off its head. 😊

Good advice there. Goats are as hard headed as most of us men.

Back
Top Bottom