Goat questions

Rabbits3049

Hatching
May 12, 2015
I am thinking about getting goats next year and i have some questions...

1) can i use a dog leash for a goat leash?

2)a can i have 2 neutered males together(i think you can, i just want to make sure)

3) about how much will 2 Dwarf goats cost yearly( i live up north)

4)any fencing ideas that will keep little goats in :p

5) do goats have to eat grain

6)minerals?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting goats next year and i have some questions...

1) can i use a dog leash for a goat leash? Yes. I use collars and leads all the time. Mine are all lead trained.

2)a can i have 2 neutered males together(i think you can, i just want to make sure) Yes. Two wethers, two does, or a doe and a wether are perfect companions.

3) about how much will 2 Dwarf goats cost yearly( i live up north) No clue. Much cost depends on hay, grain, and mineral for sale in your area.

4)any fencing ideas that will keep little goats in
tongue.png
Woven wire fencing. "No climb" fencing. Removing obstacles near fencing that they can use to launch over fencing.

5) do goats have to eat grain Yes. And goats who are growing (under one year old), pregnant, or lactating should get some grain in addition to free access hay and goat minerals.

6)minerals? Get minerals for goats. Not a mineral for sheep. Sheep minerals do not have enough copper to be healthy.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

1. Will your goats have horns? or be disbudded/ polled? If they are horned, you'll want to be careful about keeping collars on them since they could accidentally hook each other. Also, if you're getting horned goats,you need to use fencing that they can't get their heads through,thus a higher chance of getting stuck.

3. That will be difficult to estimate; totally depends on what you use and have available for feed, supplements, and hay in your area. It also depends on whether you are using them for pets, meat, or milk. Working goats are fed and require a lot more than a pet does. For me and my milking & breeding herd (I'm in TX} of 8, I can buy a nice round bale of coastal for $80 which lasts about two months. I have to pick up grain every month which is $106. I also give my goats kelp, which is $70 about every two months. I occasionally use Manna Pro loose minerals which is about $13. And that doesn't even include the medical or investment sides of it. ( :

6. Yes!! Minerals are super super important to a goat's health and well being. I don't know what you have in your area, but if you have a Tractor supply, I highly recommend Manna Pro loose minerals given free choice. Your goats will eat as much as they need; they know when to stop. Also, you'll need to check if you're area is deficient in selenium and copper. If so, you'll need to copper bolus two to three times a year. For selenium, you can get Bose through a vet (given 2x a year} or use selenium/ vitamin E gel (use per directions}.

I'd say you're on the right track. Keep doing your research. Goats are a lot of fun to raise. You'll enjoy them if you decide to get them!

Back
Top Bottom