Goat-sitting a kid with possible resp. infection?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickeepoo, Nov 13, 2008.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm feeding the"herd" of mixed animals for my friend while she's away, and one of the 2 little pygmy goats started coughing-sounded like choking- while he was trying to snarf his grain down this afternoon, and kept shaking his head. Lots of yellow-greenish mucus came flying out while he was slinging his head back and forth (hit his brother broadside) for a couple of minutes. He seemed OK later, though I thought he had a runny nose. The owner said neither of the kids seemed sick yesterday, and that her horses sometimes sling a nasty wad of mucus when they have something stuck, so it may be just one of those things, but I just wanted bounce this off someone who's had goats and goat problemsÂ… Thanks

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    With mine it can be from a number of things. Dusty hay or dusty grain can cause this. Wet sleeping area also can do it and also the change in the weather. I give mine crushed Vitamin C when they start this. Usually its either grain or hay that causes it. I always use my stethescope to listen to the lungs before treating with a antibiotic. As long as its clear I dont do much , but if it turns yellow or green thats when I change and give antibiotics. I usually treat with either BioMycin or NuFlor.
    Does he have a temp?
    Can you hear rattling in his chest.
    Is he eating well or slowing down?
    These are some ?? before starting Antibiotics.If all are yes then I would treat but I start with the Vitamins first.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Really it sounds to me like he choked. He might have aspirated some of what he was choking on, so keep an ear to his lungs. One of my kids who just weaned LOVED his alfalfa pellets and would choke on them at least once a week, doing what you described exactly. He was always fine afterwards and his lung sounds stayed clear.

If his lungs ever do sound crackly or the runny nose continues, antibiotics will be in order. Pneumonia, from what I hear, can creep up on you fast.

4. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for your replies- I went back over to feed them and other than a little clear runny nose, the goat looked/acted fine. I changed out their hay after feeding and watering and never saw any choking or mucus, plus he didn't sound congested at all. I think it could've been a combination of old hay and snarfing down his feed too fast. I did let my friend who owns them know about your advice so she can check them out further when she gets in tomorrow. Thanks again ~ chickeepoo

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Thats exactly what he done eating too fast.A goat cant throw up so they sling their head in this fashion to get the item out of where ever it is stuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by