Possible respiratory infection Guinea fowl

ChickenBone23

Hatching
Mar 23, 2024
I am at a loss. I have one guinea meet (4 weeks old) left. The others were killed by a dog.

Light sneezing, seeming to wheeze a little while breathing, sticking neck out and opening mouth, no sound. And shaking head.

Empty crop. I have not seen it eat but still I actually normal. Not runny or discolored.

Nothing in the mouth, no cankers, no mucus or obstruction.

Where online can I get amoxicillin or SOMETHING for my guinea. It’s also been in contact with my week old chicks. I have 8 going right now. Not vets see them around here and even if they did it’s the weekend and I need to get something going asap.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about the Keets.

How long ago did you lose them?

Was she showing symptoms of illness before you lost the others to an attack?

Was this one injured at all? Can you check her over for any abrasions or bruising that may be hidden under feathers?

Do you feel anything like air under the skin, especially near the air sacs located on her body? There are 9 air sacs and 2 lungs.

A video of her actions/breathing may be helpful. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to source an antibiotic like Amoxicillin.
IF you are dealing with respiratory illness, Amoxicillin is probably not the best choice. Tylan/Tylosin can be used, but you will likely have to order it online.

1711250743360.png

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about the Keets.

How long ago did you lose them?

Was she showing symptoms of illness before you lost the others to an attack?

Was this one injured at all? Can you check her over for any abrasions or bruising that may be hidden under feathers?

Do you feel anything like air under the skin, especially near the air sacs located on her body? There are 9 air sacs and 2 lungs.

A video of her actions/breathing may be helpful. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to source an antibiotic like Amoxicillin.
IF you are dealing with respiratory illness, Amoxicillin is probably not the best choice. Tylan/Tylosin can be used, but you will likely have to order it online.

View attachment 3780214
Thank you! So I did end up finding some Tylosin but won’t be here till at least Monday/ Tuesday. No signs of illness prior…. I have looked ever multiple times in the past week every time I handle the keet, I check everything out just because the very first one that died- I have no idea why it died. It just never grew and 2 1/2 weeks in I lost it. Then the 4 died the day of the attack, the 5th died 2-3 days later, I believe it was a ruptured air sac. It made a very quiet honk from the back end. I knew the day it went I’d loose it and shortly after I checked on it it passed. This one, nothing sounds odd. It was fine seemingly until yesterday. I am not tech savvy and it’s very late here so I will try to get a video and figure out how to upload tomorrow. I’ve never done that

Nothing feels odd other than the crop feeling empty maybe the sac one item 1 has also ruptured- both sides are sunken in it feels like but I don’t know. I love guineas but I’m just not having luck with birds of any kind it seems. I thought just keeping every thing clean would keep them healthy- all this stemmed from putting them outside in the coop for a bit so I could clean the room.

I lost the last one… 2-3 days ago. My days are mixed. A lot has happened with the birds and outside of the birds

Oh no I mean the last one from the dog attacked. The very last one is still alive! Sorry for the confusion. I haven’t slept much
Oh, I'm sorry that I misunderstood.

So is she still having problems breathing? You can try Tylan/Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

Are your chicken chicks doing o.k.? I'll be glad to offer some suggestions if you wish to share what's going on with them too.

Back
Top Bottom