Goat unable to walk

karelee

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2015
I have an 8 year old female boer goat that has been down since 4/22. If I help her up she can walk 2 or 3 feet but then lays down. On Sunday she did get herself up a few times and walk on her own but she hasn't been able to since. She is eating, drinking, normal bms and urination. She seems happy enough. She had a fever Sunday 102.7 it is down to 101.8 today. Vet did blood work and it looked ok, she is currently getting penicillin injections, a vitamin supplement deworming with fenbendazole and vitamin B complex injections. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions at all I am open to anything at this point.

Goats in BYC? Well, goats are something that I am actually more qualified to give advice on.

Have you checked her feet well? Does this corrolate with a recent trimming? Maybe she was over trimmed?

If not over trimmed, are they overgrown? Also, check between her toes for signs of scald or a puncture abscess. If you've been experiencing wet muddy weather, scald could likely be your culprit.

I'll wait to hear back from you and we will go from there.

Does it have access to a good loose goat mineral? I believe deficiencies in stuff like selenium can cause muscle problems.

How's it's knees look? Stuff like CAE can cause lameness and arthritis.

Check it's feet for sore spots and abscesses.

@cassie may have an idea.

Goats in BYC? Well, goats are something that I am actually more qualified to give advice on.

Have you checked her feet well? Does this corrolate with a recent trimming? Maybe she was over trimmed?

If not over trimmed, are they overgrown? Also, check between her toes for signs of scald or a puncture abscess. If you've been experiencing wet muddy weather, scald could likely be your culprit.

I checked her hooves they were over grown, I trimmed them up and they otherwise look ok. It is very wet here though

Too much feed at once can cause lameness, as well. Does she get more than her fair share of grain? My mom had a goat once that went lame for a while after getting into the grain.

She only gets a small amount of grain once daily, about a 1/2 a coffee can or so.

Sorry, I forgot to ask if her feet feel hot?
When I checked them tonight they did feel a little warm bit she has been laying with them tucked up underneath her, so I'm not sure if the heat is from that or if they have an issue

Well, if something in the grain was causing an issue, then the b complex may help. It sounds like you are doing all you can. I hope she improves!

I checked her hooves they were over grown, I trimmed them up and they otherwise look ok. It is very wet here though

Ok. I'm going to list some of the other things in my past herds that resulted in lame goats.

* Dislocated hip from a kick from the gaurd donkey.

* An easy keeper doe got overweight/obese and tore cartlage in her knee when hopping off of the roof of the doghouse.

* Another easy keeper/obese doe, who also probably had bad genetics, got really broken down pasterns unfortunately had to be culled.

*I had a six month old set of twins that got white mucle disease and had to be treated with salenium and vitamin E injections for a week.

*I had a five year old doe who two days after giving birth would not get up and walk around. She also ran a fever and showed signs of pain... It ended up being a retained placenta.

Back
Top Bottom