1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats and chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by The Colnl, Aug 14, 2016.

1. The Colnl

The Colnl New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    I just started to raise chickens and goats... Unfortunately, the goats keep getting into the chicken's feeder. Any recommendations on how I can avoid this or suggestions on different feeders? The chickensame and goats are both free range and share the same shed; so, I can't separate them.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Put a wooden fence around the feeding area. You will have to figure out the best spacing for the boards so the chickens can get through but the goats can't. My chickens go under, over and through my wooden fence, but the goats stay put.

3. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Well said. Sort of like a creep feeder. I have never kept goats together purposely, but I would get the goats getting through into the chicken feed and the chickens getting over the fence into the goat feed. I would imagine that you could set up some sort of secured area where the chickens can get through to their food but the goats can't. A secure fence is a must. My goats would work hard to get at that feed.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You do have to tweak it based on your goats, whether they are miniatures or dairy breeds, how high they can jump, how determined they are, if you ones that will try to squeeze through stuff. I once had a boy that would easily hop over a 6 foot fence like it was nothing, eat the feed and hop back in the pen. We raised the boards to 8 feet to stop him.

I have gotten good at outsmarting my goats, but they are very good about trying to outsmart me. In the end I always find a strand or two of electric fence will make most every goat keep his distance, so if the wood fence doesn't work that's what I would use next.

5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Electric wire solves nearly anything, doesn't it? Ive never found that I needed it, my goats have been more gap squeezers than fence climbers. Back to OP's question, I would try it without the electric wire and then see if you need it, of course, like you said. If all else fails, whatever you do, dont put the feed in the coop. Thats how you get rats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by