Goats and Chickens

I don't know much about goats, but a friend of mine, her goat miscarried her twin babies recently. She was told that chickens carry something that can make the goats do this???????? She also thought chickens gender could be determined by heat. I think she is getting many wive's tales from whomever she is getting her animals from. She had mentioned her chickens are just a bunch they bought from the local Amish... not sure about the goats. But if anyone has any knowledge of this, I would love to pass it on to her... I know she is very worried now about the goats and chickens being in close proxemity.

Sorry bout the post hi-jack!

Last edited:
Last May we got our first four baby chicks. Well, my husband wanted something too, so he picked pygmy goats. He got his 2 in October - so that I could bottle feed them 4 times a day! Anyway, the kids lived with the chickens until he finished their part of the barn/shed. Now, they each have thier own in/out doors & share the same grazing area. However, every morning, we have to lift up the chicken food out of goats reach.

In Jan this year, our little male got very constipated & had a hard time urinating (we almost lost him). When I told the vet the goats always get into the chicken feed, the vet said it was important he stick only to his alfalfa & goat treat, cuz the chicken food isn't good for him.

So, thankfully, we have a large yard for the chickens to peck around in. They get lots of scraps & are nice & healthy. So... to SUM up this long response... goats & chickens can live happily ever after... just watch those adorable litte guilty goat faces - cuz it's true... they like to try everything!

Enjoy.
Oh... p.s. we got 9 baby chicks 2 weeks ago to add to the family. So, it should be a fun summer watching all of them interact.
smile.png

2 things my research has shown on this subject

Goats and chickens can share the same pasture, but, if supplied with feed, the feed should be kept separate, especially the chicken feed from the goats.

If your animals are on total free range than no worries.

The parasite sharing seems to be a condition of over crowding and poor maintenance. Unless you never let your animals on the ground, they are already sharing it with every bird, mammals (around my place that means possums, skunks and armadillos, as well as various reptiles, whats a few goats more less going to hurt
tongue.png

I plan to have a coop for the chickens (thats where their feed will go) and a shed for the goats. This seems to be the best arrangement form information I have received from reading an farms that I have visited, and the easiest to maintain.

Well I'm glad I found this thread as it was my thoery that both could live in harmony LOL, just keep the chicken feed from the goats. Good thing as I have an opporunity to buy a male angora and a pigmy female from the same flock. Both are still breeding, but he just wasnt the toughest male in the current herd so he wasnt getting any LOL. Both goats for 100.00 both with UTD shots seemed like a good deal as they wanted 75.00 each.

FarmerMack - 11 chickens, 1 aussie shepherd, 2 cats and soon 2 goats. oh ya and still a wife
cool.png
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom