1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by trainhound, Apr 2, 2008.

1. trainhound

trainhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    California High Desert
    Are goats and chickens compatible living in the same space such as a corral? I have 2 nubians goats and I'm building a 100'x50'x6' tall chainlink pen for the goats and I would like to let some of my chickens live with them.

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes they will get along fine.if you feed your hens just make sure the goats cant get to the feed.because the goats will eat it all.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Mine get along just fine. As long as you have plenty of room for all. Just feed them apart. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Yes mine all roam together, but the goat and sheep cannot get in there coop or where there food and water is. Let me tell you he sure would like to get in there.[​IMG]

5. trainhound

trainhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    California High Desert
    Thanks, I feel better now [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i house my goat kids in the chicken house at night right now as we wait for my dad to get off the couch and actually make the goat house.

7. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    How funny that there are so many folks with goats and chickens! We just bought 5 pygmy goats last weekend and are madly in love with them. I read a county extension flyer about goats promoting (sharing?) parasites in chickens, but since everyone gets wormed regularly maybe it is not such a big deal? We have discussed moving the chickens into the big goat pen but have not done it yet. They are still on opposite ends of the yard.

8. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

yup they will be fine with chickens just not with ducks. Ducks are too wet and can cause tocisotious- not spelled right I am sure. In goats.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Give a duck a teaspoon of water and a cinder block and you get MUD.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:The owning goats and chickens together thing, is to funny![​IMG] We got 12 RIR chicks for Easter and then turned around and bought 2 baby goats (kids) the next week! I just had to laugh when I read that, because that's us too![​IMG] I love the idea about keeping the goats and chickens together!!! That would save money and take a load off of my DH. Thank heavens he puts up with me and my hobbies! Thanks for the idea![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by