Goats and water fowl

Melly-Mae

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
Oklahoma
Im at a loss. I wanted to keep a few ducks and two geese along with my chickens and goats. I think I’m about to give up though. I just can’t keep clean drinking water. Even elevated water buckets are a fail because the small kids can’t reach them but the geese can with their long necks and have even managed to somehow climb up to them and sit in the buckets anyways. Is there any way I can peacefully keep these critters together or am I fighting a losing battle? I may have to invest in a automatic waterer (or would it even work?)

I give my ducks a pool and several very low water bowls. Then I get a tall bucket (that my young goats can reach) and the ducks for the most part would rather play in the easy to reach water vs the goat bucket. Yes the ducks sometimes reach in and drink the water, and yesterday they dropped a little mud in the water, but it definitely is an improvement.
So the more easy to reach water sources, the more they'll ignore the goat water buckets :)

I give my ducks a pool and several very low water bowls. Then I get a tall bucket (that my young goats can reach) and the ducks for the most part would rather play in the easy to reach water vs the goat bucket. Yes the ducks sometimes reach in and drink the water, and yesterday they dropped a little mud in the water, but it definitely is an improvement.
So the more easy to reach water sources, the more they'll ignore the goat water buckets :)
Not worth the risk. Sorry. I have a big herd. They get crystal clean water. Waterfowl are a bio hazard for goats. Especially young goats. I don't need duck fecal splashing in the grass during rain season either. Goats have a delicate biological immunity system. They can become ill very easily. The cleaner their environment the better.

Not worth the risk. Sorry. I have a big herd. They get crystal clean water. Waterfowl are a bio hazard for goats. Especially young goats. I don't need duck fecal splashing in the grass during rain season either. Goats have a delicate biological immunity system. They can become ill very easily. The cleaner their environment the better.
I've done it for nearly 3 years with vet's permission. My goats are free ranged during the day, ducks are not. The pen isnt grass, all feed is kept out of duck reach and clean. My vet is a goat enthusiast and thinks it's great. I respect both his and your opinion, so thank you for the information. I'll bring it up with him again and make sure he's still 100% on it.

Back
Top Bottom