Goats got a grumbling gut

littlepip

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
don't know if I should be posting about goats in a chicken website, but I figure you guys would be of some help. I got goats 2 days ago, and all four babies were sick with coccidiosis about 1 month prior to us buying them. they took lots of medication, and were almost clear of it when we picked them up. I noticed that after bringing them home, the goats had lots of rumbling in their stomachs. There's been no signs of diarrhea, and the goats are running around and exploring like normal.

How old? And what are you feeding? Free choice baking soda should always be available. It can help to avoid problems. Goats shouldn't get too much grains or rations and are best fed hay or pasture.

Goats belly's rumble when they're ruminating, which is how they digest their food. It should happen a few times every minute. It is actually a sign of bloat or other illness when you CAN'T hear the rumbling

Congrats! What kind of goats are they?

Goats' stomachs are supposed to rumble. If you don't hear any gastric noises it is a sign of big trouble. What are you feeding them? They need free choice hay and at least some grain while they are growing. When they are mature they do not need grain unless they are pregnant or in milk. As for posting about goats on a chicken site, that makes more sense than you might think. Many people on this site don't have just chickens. A lot of them have goats, rabbits, sheep, horses, cattle, pigs, alpacas, whatever. There are a number of very knowledgeable goat people on this site. For instance I raised goats for over 40 years. By necessity I know far more about goats than I will ever know about chickens and I am not the only one by any means.

Goats' stomachs are supposed to rumble. If you don't hear any gastric noises it is a sign of big trouble. What are you feeding them? They need free choice hay and at least some grain while they are growing. When they are mature they do not need grain unless they are pregnant or in milk. As for posting about goats on a chicken site, that makes more sense than you might think. Many people on this site don't have just chickens. A lot of them have goats, rabbits, sheep, horses, cattle, pigs, alpacas, whatever. There are a number of very knowledgeable goat people on this site. For instance I raised goats for over 40 years. By necessity I know far more about goats than I will ever know about chickens and I am not the only one by any means.

Hi! Glad you have 40 yrs of experience! I just read your comments on an old post about 2 goats being too skinny. I just took in 2 young females, one pregnant, one milking, and after getting the chart on body condition I realize they are both too skinny! They must eat a pound or so of grain (mixed sweet with pellet), have hay available, and also are foraging trees outside. The lady I got them from fed hay and pellet/feed mix during milking (2x day), so I am guessing they were getting enough there too. I have to go out and check their eyelids (been reading..), their poops are normal looking, and they have the Goat nutrition bucket 24/7. I do still need to buy the mineral salt though - will today. Any other suggestions, or ideas as to their lack of flab/muscle around their mid-spine? Thanks!

Dairy goats can be a bit thinner in general, especially those producing milk. It takes time to put weight back on them sometimes and they never will be fat like other breeds.

Proper body condition varies a lot from breed to breed and goat to goat. What may be good condition for one animal may be too fat or too skinny for another. Animals with a lot of dairy character are bonier than those with less dairy character. If a goat has a sleek coat and good fleshing over the ribs she is probably OK even though her backbone and hip bones may be a little prominent.

Back
Top Bottom