Goats not eating as voraciously...any thoughts?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Hi,

Just noticed today that my two goats aren't eating as much as usual. My lactating doe usually pigs out on her grain while I milk her and I noticed that for the past three or so feedings she actually leaves a little bit in the bowl.
hmm.png

I had to get new feed because I don't live near the place where I bought them, but I can tell that the Purina goat chow is different and especially in the level of sweetness. I open the one bag and it just wafts of molasses. The Purina has different mix of seed/pellets and not a sweet smelling. I decided to mix them up a bit because, as I'm learning, they need to be transitioned slowly in their feed and today, last milking, she left the bowl almost completely untouched.

Is this just being picky? Could there be other reasons?

Our local feed store closed a while back and I had to go to one that carried different feed. My goats flat out refused to eat it at all! They only ate hay for three days before they finally decided to even try it. I hope that your are just being picky and nothing serious is wrong. Good luck.

When we were raising Pygmy goats they were very picky. I could open a new bag of the same kind of feed from same supplier and they would refuse it. I learned that when the bag was getting low take that and dump it in on the new a few days in advance and they would eat fine. Also given we are getting into spring and there is lots of new grass etc coming up (most places) they may be filling thier belly on that and not want the grain.
Hope one of these is what is going on wiff yer goats and no something else.
Good luck Rob

Back
Top Bottom