And if I do get sheep, what are the best breeds?

You can have a pair of sheep and they'll do okay, but 3 or 4 definitely make for happier sheep.

My suggestion about breeds is this - do a lot of reading. I'm partial to the primitive breeds - these include Jacob, Shetland, Finnish Landrace and Icelandics - because they're smaller and hardier and gentler on the earth than some of the bigger breeds. But this is absolutely a matter of personal preference. If you have a chance to visit one of the big Sheep and Wool festivals like MD Sheep and Wool or Estes Park you can meet the sheep and talk with shepherds. Tons of information there!

You can have a pair of sheep and they'll do okay, but 3 or 4 definitely make for happier sheep.

My suggestion about breeds is this - do a lot of reading. I'm partial to the primitive breeds - these include Jacob, Shetland, Finnish Landrace and Icelandics - because they're smaller and hardier and gentler on the earth than some of the bigger breeds. But this is absolutely a matter of personal preference. If you have a chance to visit one of the big Sheep and Wool festivals like MD Sheep and Wool or Estes Park you can meet the sheep and talk with shepherds. Tons of information there!

Thanks for the info!! You've been very helpful!! I think there was just a big fiber festival here and I missed it! Maybe next year. Or maybe they'll be another one in another state sometime.

https://www.easternstatesexposition.com/p/fiberfestival

I think I'll get 4 then. Do sheep do well with mixed breeds or is it better to have all one breed? Shetland sheep seem to be a little more common here, there are at least a couple breeders each of the other ones too I think.

I went with sheep because of concerns on keeping them in, i always hear of goats getting out! perhaps overrated? but anyways, we had a nice flock, i lambed and enjoyed them.

Mine were pets at the days end i could handle them, and made myself fully involved with the lambs but did leave my ewes to raise them.

IMG_5330.jpg

I went with sheep because of concerns on keeping them in, i always hear of goats getting out! perhaps overrated? but anyways, we had a nice flock, i lambed and enjoyed them.

Mine were pets at the days end i could handle them, and made myself fully involved with the lambs but did leave my ewes to raise them.

View attachment 1584693

Pretty sheep! What breed are they?

I have 3 sheep. A mom and two adolescent lambs.
They are easily spooked and a bit skittish but can be very affectionate and friendly if you spend time with them and they love love LOVE sweet grain and getting scratched! I haven't noticed mine eat too much grass. In fact I think they are picky with their grass!
They are part of a breeding program to recreate/preserve the rare Herdwick breed. They have herdwick blood but aren't pure.
I haven't had any experience with goats, but good luck with whatever you decide!

I have 3 sheep. A mom and two adolescent lambs.
They are easily spooked and a bit skittish but can be very affectionate and friendly if you spend time with them and they love love LOVE sweet grain and getting scratched! I haven't noticed mine eat too much grass. In fact I think they are picky with their grass!
They are part of a breeding program to recreate/preserve the rare Herdwick breed. They have herdwick blood but aren't pure.
I haven't had any experience with goats, but good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you! Your sheep sound sweet

Back
Top Bottom