Goats: Triplets!

frugal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
NEK, Vermont
Goats: Triplets!

We're in the middle of kidding and lambing here on the homestead. New life everywhere...
smile.png
Here's some pics of one of our Boer meat goats giving birth...

01rose.jpg

Ramblin' Red Rose
High percentage Boer Doe

02.JPG

Rose has already had her first kid and is working on her second!
She's pushing hard and with a good strong contraction the water bag starts to emerge.

03.JPG

In a matter of seconds the bag pushes out…

05.JPG

…and breaks!

06.JPG

Rose is pushing with a contraction while her first kid is working on his legs in the corner.

07.JPG

A moment later out comes the front feet and head.

09.JPG

A little closer!

10.JPG

One more good push and kid pops right out.

11.JPG

Rose's new kid is now free but still attached to her by it's umbilical cord.

13.JPG

We cleared the kids nose so she could freely breath and then Mom took over.

14.JPG

It took 2 hours and 45 minutes for the birth of all three.
They're doing great.

Here they are yesterday at one week old

15.jpg

Beefy...

16.jpg

Sunbathing

17.jpg

Getting to know one of the lambs.

That is beautiful!

She is a gorgeous doe!

Okay - seriously - what does well cared for and fed goat meat taste like. Some people think it tastes like lamb but I beg to differ as goats do not produce lanolin and that is what effects the taste of lamb meat.

So goat meat tastes like - (not chicken) - ________________________ .

I have a small male boer and I am still swaying on the meat thing with goats.

love.gif

Awww...I love them! Nice pictures of the whole process too! When my girls are kind enough to kid when I'm at home I'm always standing by with the camera. I don't care how many times I see it happen, it's exciting every time.

My last bunch of kids is almost a month old already and I still have a couple weeks before my next group goes, I can't wait. It sure is fun watching them play though!

pop.gif

Quote:
I always tell people it's a little like lamb crossed with beef.

It's not as "gamey" as lamb and it has no marbleing whatsoever. If you don't cook it properly it can get stringy or excessively chewy. That's why it's most often prepared as BBQ- slow cooked with lots of spices.

My favorite is slow-cooked pulled goat meat. It's much like a pulled-pork BBQ but offers a little more flavor than pork. I suppose it would be like if you mixed some lamb in with your pork BBQ.

idunno.gif

Definately different than most meat we eat.

GREAT photos of a birth! Thanks for sharing!

I love the solid Boers. And if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...there is NOTHING cuter than a baby Boer!

Congrats!

GREAT PICTURE!!!!! I have yet to get out there with the camera when our ewes or does go into labor. Usually get out there and the babies are already born... I love the boer goats...our girls wanna get some to show for 4-H this year...Just haven't found any that people are willing to part with at a price I can afford...

What did you end up with for babies(boy/girl). We had a pygmy doe give birth this year first time mom with twins (boys). then a first time ewe give birth to triplets (2 boys/1 girl)...

Congrats on the babies...they are adorable.

Back
Top Bottom