Goats

Bob halvorsen

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2017
My doe did not have milk for her kids last year. She had a large bag of milk but no milk. She is pragnant again. She has a large bag of milk. What are the chances that she will have milk for her kids this time?

My doe did not have milk for her kids last year. She had a large bag of milk but no milk. She is pragnant again. She has a large bag of milk. What are the chances that she will have milk for her kids this time?
Hi, welcome to the family.
You said she had a large bag. Was it hard and warm? Red? Anything indicating engorgement?

I don't know about engorgement. What is it? We gave her an antibiotic shot. Her bag was hard and red. It shrank. Now it is large again and she looks P ragnant. I'm new at this. I live in Brazil and things are hard for me to get help.

OK, sounds like engorgement.
Just before giving birth all mammals begin to produce "first milk" it is called colostrum. The baby needs this, after a day or so the actual milk begins to come in. Sometimes they produce too much. This causes engorgement.
As soon as she kids try to milk her just enough to be sure her teats aren't plugged. Once you know they aren't, get babies nursing. She will still be very full, if she's so full they can't nurse, milk out enough to lightly soften her teats. Don't milk her out all the way. Maybe a couple of cups worth.
Once the baby is nursing well it will regulate the milk supply. But if you see she's staying regularly full, you can continue to milk after baby nurses and increase the amount you take a little each time.
It is supply and demand at that point. What gets taken out by you or baby gets replaced by the goats body.
Also, is this a dairy goat or a meat breed?

I am trying to join the other site but there seems to be some problem. I just deliverd two kids. The mothers utter is hard and the milk is not coming. Tomorrow is Christmas and I don't know if I can get a vet to help me.

OK, did you check to see if the teat is clogged? You may have strip the teat. To do this, start at the top of the teat and place your thumb nd first two fingers around the teat but pressing flat, like a flat pinch. Keepings your thumb and Fingers tight together slide down the teat to the end. Try this and let me know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom