Going Away

Jun 29, 2020
I don't know where to put this, but here seems as good a spot as any. So, our family is going camping for two nights and one day. Our two-month-olds were moved outside about a week ago. We've also moved to where we are about three months ago, so we only know the elderly people next door. We don't know how to handle our chickens. Can we just leave them in the 2x3 coop w/ enough food and water to last for two nights and a day? What should we do? I mean, there's isn't time to find a chicken sitter because we are going tomorrow. Can we leave them in the coop?

I don't know where to put this, but here seems as good a spot as any. So, our family is going camping for two nights and one day. Our two-month-olds were moved outside about a week ago. We've also moved to where we are about three months ago, so we only know the elderly people next door. We don't know how to handle our chickens. Can we just leave them in the 2x3 coop w/ enough food and water to last for two nights and a day? What should we do? I mean, there's isn't time to find a chicken sitter because we are going tomorrow. Can we leave them in the coop?
Just stock up their feed and water good. How many birds? They should be fine. Just fill a few big buckets with water and a couple feeders.

This really does depend on your coop and setup.
With a big enough coop/run stocking feeders(add an extra one) and leaving out extra water should keep them fine for a few days.

Can I ask why you’d plan a trip without a solid plan for the chickens beforehand? I’m just curious, I always plan a few weeks in advance. That gives time for “practice runs” or to find a sitter.

Photos 7_23_2020 12_58_02 PM.png
Photos 7_23_2020 12_58_12 PM.png
Photos 7_23_2020 12_58_18 PM.png

This really does depend on your coop and setup.
With a big enough coop/run stocking feeders(add an extra one) and leaving out extra water should keep them fine for a few days.

Can I ask why you’d plan a trip without a solid plan for the chickens beforehand? I’m just curious, I always plan a few weeks in advance. That gives time for “practice runs” or to find a sitter.
This trip JUST came up, and, like I said, we don't know anybody who knows how to care for chickens here.

Back
Top Bottom