Going away - advice on changing routine before we go

tori729

Chirping
Aug 31, 2023
Upstate SC
We are leaving town five days from now, being away for about four days.
Currently our 8 pullets are kept in a dog crate in the garage at night and they free range in our ~1/8 acre backyard during the day when we are home.
We hired someone to build a coop and run for us and the coop is basically finished and predator resistant but not predator proof. The run will also be the same way once finished (HWC up 2', chicken wire up to 6', bird netting cover).
The chickens are used to leaving the pen in the morning about 8-9am, going into the backyard and then coming back to the pen around 7pm.
At the very least, we will have them in the run during the day when we are gone but I'm leaning towards keeping them in the garage pen at night and not transitioning to the coop until after we get back.
Should I start putting them in the run this week during the day so they can get used to it? That way when our neighbor comes to put them in there, they know where to go and don't just run over to a tree to hide? How many days do you think they need to get it? I feel like they can learn pretty quickly.
I'm also just stressed out about transitioning them to the coop b/c it has gaps/holes for predators to get in that I don't feel I can easily/quickly fix. So for me, it would give me more peace of mind to just have them in the garage at night until we are back in town.

Don't transition anything, chickens are repetitive creatures. Since you got them trained to behave there routine that way. It needs to be the same while your gone. And your neighbor showing up will definitely freak out your pullets. Think of it as stranger danger. Get your neighbor to come by while your doing your chicken chores so your girls become use to this person.

When you get back then transition them to the coop and run. Since you are there flock leader. They will be more cooperative with your presence.

Don't transition anything, chickens are repetitive creatures. Since you got them trained to behave there routine that way. It needs to be the same while your gone. And your neighbor showing up will definitely freak out your pullets. Think of it as stranger danger. Get your neighbor to come by while your doing your chicken chores so your girls become use to this person.

When you get back then transition them to the coop and run. Since you are there flock leader. They will be more cooperative with your presence.
Thanks! The thing is, I'm not comfortable with them free ranging when no one is here. I would rather them be in a more protected run.
Our neighbor (she is a teenage friend of my daughter's) watched them several weeks ago and she does come by and hang around them some. I plan to have her do the herding with them at least once so she understand how to do it. I have several kiddos who will do the herding but it's true; they do listen best to me! :<3

Thanks! The thing is, I'm not comfortable with them free ranging when no one is here. I would rather them be in a more protected run.
Our neighbor (she is a teenage friend of my daughter's) watched them several weeks ago and she does come by and hang around them some. I plan to have her do the herding with them at least once so she understand how to do it. I have several kiddos who will do the herding but it's true; they do listen best to me! :<3
Can you move the run next to the garage door so it would be easier?

Put yourself in the caretakers shoes to make adjustments that would be easy for them to manage and for you to have peace of mind. It shouldn't be too complicated.

If I was in this situation I probably wouldn’t let them out at all while I was gone! Chickens (especially pullets) can be contrary creatures and I’ve had to literally football tackle a couple (full grown hens) in order to catch them because they wouldn’t go back in the pen. I have also kept chickens in a basement for over a week with no outdoor time. Just give them a lot of enrichment activities and ask the neighbor to give them some treats when she comes (something that will take them a bit to finish) and they should be fine for four days.

Can you move the run next to the garage door so it would be easier?

Put yourself in the caretakers shoes to make adjustments that would be easy for them to manage and for you to have peace of mind. It shouldn't be too complicated.

I can't; it's a permanent run.

If I was in this situation I probably wouldn’t let them out at all while I was gone! Chickens (especially pullets) can be contrary creatures and I’ve had to literally football tackle a couple (full grown hens) in order to catch them because they wouldn’t go back in the pen. I have also kept chickens in a basement for over a week with no outdoor time. Just give them a lot of enrichment activities and ask the neighbor to give them some treats when she comes (something that will take them a bit to finish) and they should be fine for four days.

Something to consider but they are 11-12 weeks old and not as tiny as they once were. I don't know how happy they would be hanging out in a dog crate for four days. :/

Put the Dog Crate in the run, or if it will fit in the coop. They are homed to that, and will go into it from the run, and that would be another level of security. I would start by carrying the crate out to the run /coop and letting the chickens into the run from there.

Mrs K

This is a great idea! I might think about trying to do this; not sure if it will fit in the coop w/ the roosts and such though.
P.S. I am Mrs. K too! ;) Err well sometimes I think I'm too young for that and that's my MIL lol.

Update: I've put their food and water into the run area and they have spent a good bit of time in there and under the coop today so I feel like they are getting acclimated well. I think I will start leading them straight to the run from the garage the rest of the week and if that catches on, maybe just keep that going when we are gone.
Pic of the chickies inspecting their new digs!

Attachments

• PXL_20231002_133216482.jpg
    PXL_20231002_133216482.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom