Question about starting new flock

Andee525

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2024
I am scheduled to pick up 5 10-12 week old pullets this weekend to start our flock. We have 10x20 coop and 20 x 20 run. We live in northern MI and it will be 12 degrees the night we bring them home. 4 weeks later we will bring 8 more 10-12 week pullets from same farm. So a couple questions
1) when I bring the first 5 home am I supposed to leave them in coop for a few days before letting them in run? 2) when I bring home the following chickens since they are coming from same farm, do I still need to quarantine and then keep them separate in run for awhile?
Thanks!!!

I have never heard of blocking the run at first. Sometimes new chickens wont know where to perch so you might have to show them. Others may disagree but I never quarantine new birds🤷‍♀️. I look up common chicken diseases and symptons and then check the birds out before I purchase them. Mine have always been fine when I add new birds. Be sure to check for parasites too. Good luck and enjoy your new chickens😁😁

1) Given the size of the coop I would lock the first group in the coop for at least a few days, as it's one of the easier ways to home birds to the coop.

2) Quarantine is almost always advisable BUT I admit I would not bother quarantining in this case due to same source and a relatively short time frame, and would skip ahead to integration.

Any chance to get them all at the same time?
The age difference won't make a big difference and it might be better than trying to integrate.

Any chance to get them all at the same time?
The age difference won't make a big difference and it might be better than trying to integrate.
I don’t know if the owner would do that, but I think they would be to young for coop, wouldn’t they

1) when I bring the first 5 home am I supposed to leave them in coop for a few days before letting them in run?
I would. In a coop that size they have plenty of room. This simply helps them to learn to sleep in the coop instead of somewhere in the run. Nothung more complicated than that.

2) when I bring home the following chickens since they are coming from same farm, do I still need to quarantine and then keep them separate in run for awhile?
Quarantine in the right circumstances is a great tool but I agree with the others. I would not quarantine in your circumstances. To do a quarantine correctly isn't that simple and I think your risk is very small.

I don’t know if the owner would do that, but I think they would be to young for coop, wouldn’t they
I would not worry about 7 or 8 week old chicks in 12 degrees Fahrenheit. Under six weeks could be an issue. So there is that question Also, are they integrated where they are coming from or are you going to have to do an integration anyway? If they are already integrated I see an advantage but if they are not I don't see that much of an advantage in getting them all now unless they are all the same age. I'm guessing you can't get them all the same age or you would.

If they are already integrated I see an advantage but if they are not I don't see that much of an advantage in getting them all now unless they are all the same age.
I was thinking even if they aren't integrated at least they are all in a new place might be easier than one group being homed then 'invaders' showing up.

Back
Top Bottom