Going back to a simple life in IN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Irregardless, May 7, 2011.

1. Irregardless

Irregardless Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Hello all. I've seen a lot of you, and just now decided to make my presence known. I've been lurking for ~4 months now, studying coops, chicks, food, runs, dos, don'ts, everything the site has to offer someone who is able to make it past pages of awesome chicken pics.

Anyway, my name is Matt. I'm 26 years old. I'm married to my highschool sweetheart, Natalie. We have 2 wonderful sons, Nick(3) and Aiden(1). We've been living in Zionsville, IN for the past 5 years or so and we've decided that the city life isn't for us, nor is it how we want to raise our children. We are currently in the process of moving back to our family farm in a feeble attempt to try to be a bit more self-sufficient. We've planted an orchard, put out about a million kinds of berries, and (if it ever stops raining) we hope to put out a nice garden. I'm down almost 20 lbs, so it's obviously doing me some good. I'm an x-ray tech by trade, but so help me... I'm a farmer at heart.

Anyway, enough of my life story. Here are my (son's) birds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feel free to tell me your guesses on sex. I'm starting to think they're ALL 'Roos.

I'm always open to questions/comments/concerns.

Here's to a hopefully great relationship with BYC and all the members!

2. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I am not even going to attempt a guess. Lol but welcome out of lurkerdom.

What breed are those?

3. Irregardless

Mar 31, 2011
    Orpingtons, I'm told. lol

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First of all...... [​IMG] ....this is a great forum!

Second of all......the fourth picture.....is the young chicken's comb frostbit? It looks like it is, 'cause it's blackish looking in front.

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! [​IMG] Welcome from western Kentucky. I hope you really enjoy going back to "a simple life", and that you get to enjoy the fruits (pun intended!) of all your hard work. This is a great place to hang out! Pull up a comfy chair and make some new friends! [​IMG]

7. Irregardless

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:1. Thanks.

2 I seriously doubt it. They haven't been outside in anything under 50 degrees. Today was their first experience with rain (light sprinkle for 10 minutes, them hanging put in the little house I made, in their pen which is covered in tin) if it can happen in those conditions, then possibly. I'm assuming frostbite in chickens is the same as humans. O
    It doesn't look necrotic or anything (still smooth/shiney) and feels like any of the others.

I also want to add:
    I'm SUPER sarcastic, so anything that comes across as rude/d-baggish, it was never meant to. If I have a problem with anyone or what they say I take it to PMs or just hit ignore. I've been on enough forums to know how that works. [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Looks to me like you do have some pullets, but some roos, too. Good luck with your farm [​IMG] We started ours last year & it's been a lot of fun.

9. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Welcome fellow Hoosier !
    Have no clue on your birds, except that they are cute !
    Glad you are getting back to the basics ! Love the country life !

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I don't think they are all roos. In a few of the pics it looks like there are some rounded hackle feathers. I try not to judge on comb size. I had a buff hen that had a huge comb. Give them a few more weeks and try to take close up full body side views as well and post them in the What Breed/Gender section. You will get more help there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by