Going Crazy over quacks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Jul 18, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 6 runner ducks. They are 9 or 10 weeks old. I STILL can't figure out who is who. I know I do have 1 girl because she is a nonstop quacker. She started quacking early. She seems to do the talking for the rest of them. It's as if they are afraid to speak up. [​IMG] I'm really hoping that I don't have 5 boys and 1 girl. [​IMG] I have absoultely no luck with straight run.

For instance: all straight run now........ 12 EE's and I got 11 roos and 1 hen. 8 French Black Copper Marans, I got 6 roos and 2 hens. I am soooo hoping this hasn't happened with the ducks too. We sold all the EE roos. Kept 1 girl and 1 boy. Eventually gave away the boy because he became to aggressive and the girl died at 14 months. No reason. We culled 5 of the Marans. I wouldn't know what to do if I got 5 boys and only 1 girl with the ducks. [​IMG]

Here is a picture. It's not great but maybe someone can help me out. My ducks do quack but they aren't very loud [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are molting again. They are getting darker.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In a flock like that you can get one big mouth who is the group spokesduck [​IMG]

I don't see any drake feathers. Do any of them make a soft "reep reep....reep reep....reep reep" noise?

3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I haven't seen any curled feathers but I don't know at what age they show up. They have soft quack sounds. It's like they are whispering their quack. Once in a while you get this weird screech sound........ lol. It's almost like a short scream. Have no idea who it is. It's out of the blue...... lol. Could that be puberty?

Lately I have let them out of the pen to free range. They are loving it. Still only hear the one duck. I now know why they are called runners......... roflol. That's all they seem to do. They wore themselves out yesterday running around and just plopped down on the water hose and went to sleep.

As for the reep reep sound. I haven't heard that but I will listen to see if any do. I think I have at least one male because yesterday I saw what looked like a mating dance, display? Bobbing his head up and down and biting everyones tale feathers in the pool. Although, I do have one that has always nipped at butt feathers. Ducks are so whacky.

4. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!...My wife is trying to talk me into runners...I've actually already decided, I just love her means of persuasion! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Those look like boys to me...

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Soft, whispery quacks = boys. [​IMG]
    All of my girls have always started quacking loudly by 8 weeks. And I think I know that short screech sound you're talking about. My ducks do that every once in awhile when they're eating or dabbling at something good...I think it might be some sort of sneeze or something...? [​IMG]

I'll have to stand out there tonight with a video camera and catch it on tape! I have one Khaki Campbell duck who makes that high-pitched shriek every night at dinner time. [​IMG]

7. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Our neighbor gave me five 'rescue' BEI ducklings cuz she couldn't keep them in the pen and she kept losing them. I was hoping for drakes, cuz I don't need any more eggs! [​IMG] But there are AT LEAST four quackers in the bunch. Of course when it comes to my Runners I can't seem to hatch ANY girls (though I might have at least one this time around).

p.s. If there are any Washingtonians who would like BEI's (they all seem to have a fair amount of white on their chests so not sure how pure they are), I'm hoping to re-home at least three of them if the neighbor doesn't want them back.

p.p.s. Those are an awfully attractive bunch you've got 'crj' whatever sex they are.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Oh no! What am I going to do with all boys??? This is sad for me. [​IMG] Only 1 girl. [​IMG] This streak has got to end. Obviously I am NOT a big fan of straight run [​IMG] [​IMG] I really hope I have some ducks that are really slow to mature......... I can only hope at this point. The quacker seems to be in charge so far. Honestly, what do I do if I have all boys??? I'm not sure I will get any takers around here.

kysilkies, you are very funny. Evil at the same time! Putting your wife through that [​IMG]

Thank you for all the nice compliments. I will have to take new pictures. They have all changed again. Amazing how many changes these ducks go through in such a short amount of time. It's hard to get pictures since they are always running from me. I am the big scary monster, why? who knows. Will they ever stop running from me??? They love the treats I bring but it's still not enough to keep them around for long.

I'm still hoping to hear a loud quack from some other duck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by