Going Electric

hogges

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Being a good American, I just increased my defense budget again... Here is my brand new electric fence addition. About $80 total from Tractor Supply, actually not that expensive, and I even went with the stronger "5 mile" controller, mainly because it has better mounting options and a separate power cable instead of plugging right into an outlet. I put it on a timer so it's only active at night after the door to the coop is closed. I don't want any of the girls to get zapped if they fly over or onto the 5' fence, which they do on occasion.
IMG_5392.JPG

Mine looks something similar to yours. Mine runs 24/7. I want my chickens to get zapped because they don't do that no more and learn to stay in the fence.

Your wire is on the inside, which doesn't really keep predators out. You need the wire on the outside too.

Good job on all of it. But if you look around, you can probably find clip on, stand off insulators for the steel T posts.......4" or 6"......so did not need to make the wooden adapters.

And leave the fence on 24/7. Unless it's grounded, it won't matter to the fencer and that way you won't forget.....or miss out on the opportunity to zap a daytime predator.

Good to know how much you spent. I'm getting ready to set up a new run after we move in a few weeks. I want to put up electric fencing because we will be living right up against some woods. Was it hard to install?

Mine looks something similar to yours. Mine runs 24/7. I want my chickens to get zapped because they don't do that no more and learn to stay in the fence.

Your wire is on the inside, which doesn't really keep predators out. You need the wire on the outside too.
The electric fence is on the outside the main fence. I am standing outside the chicken run in this picture. I'll consider keeping it switched on. So far I am assuming that the raccoons will only come at night. Is this a bad assumption?

I switched mine to 24/7 as per the advice received. I forgot and got zapped, but it's not very strong so no big deal. I check it daily to make sure the wire didn't get bent and that nothing fell onto the wire.

If you got zapped and didn't mind, it's a big deal.

Ideally, you want the varmint to consider it a near death experience. One it won't risk having twice.

Get yourself a voltage tester. If its not showing at least 7,000 volts, you have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom