Going Electric

I switched mine to 24/7 as per the advice received. I forgot and got zapped, but it's not very strong so no big deal. I check it daily to make sure the wire didn't get bent and that nothing fell onto the wire.

If you got zapped and didn't mind, it's a big deal.

Ideally, you want the varmint to consider it a near death experience. One it won't risk having twice.

Get yourself a voltage tester. If its not showing at least 7,000 volts, you have a problem.

If you got zapped and didn't mind, it's a big deal.

Ideally, you want the varmint to consider it a near death experience. One it won't risk having twice.

Get yourself a voltage tester. If its not showing at least 7,000 volts, you have a problem.
the controller I got is a 5-mile 0.1joule 6000 volt unit from Tractor Supply:
“Use it to keep out wildlife and pets, including dogs, rabbits & fowl”
I wonder if I should get a stronger one?

Before getting a different fence charger, get yourself a testing unit. One made to test the voltage of electric fences. They should be sold in the same area as the fencing supplies. The inexpensive ones don't have a meter on them.....rather a series of lights that will indicate level of voltage. The expensive ones have a digital meter......but are 5X to 10X more expensive than the kind with lights.

That will be the yardstick you use to test the level of shock your fencer is putting out. To be effective, it ought to be at least 7,000 volts. Mine runs nearly double that.

This is similar to one that I have and when I have touched the wire it made my heart skip a few beats.
Zareba 25 Mile AC Charger.jpg

I use a meter like this one. I have had the ones with lights on them but sometimes they are hard to see. I prefer the digital meters.
FenceTester.jpg

This is similar to one that I have and when I have touched the wire it made my heart skip a few beats.
View attachment 2239775

Neighbors have that exact fence charger. Got curious so I tested it.......and yes, that is X1000.

That ought to do it! zareba volts.jpg

Most flashing light type testers top out at 7,000 volts. So if it's this high, you would never know.

Digital meters are more expensive, but are the best.

This is the one I have. I see there is a Zareba model which looks identical. I just tested the voltage by using the spark method, and it seems to put out the 6k it should. It may not be the best to keep out vicious and determined raccoons, will get the camera back out there to see if anything is still climbing the fence.

IMG_5622.JPG

I am planning on doing the same to my coop/run. I also have a large oak tree beside it. How do you keep the raccoons from jumping from tree into the run? We are sorta in the woods and tree limbs touch other trees. The travel between those trees

I am planning on doing the same to my coop/run. I also have a large oak tree beside it. How do you keep the raccoons from jumping from tree into the run? We are sorta in the woods and tree limbs touch other trees. The travel between those trees
I don't have a solution. Cut some tree limbs?
The electric fence is just one deterrent. I am still mainly counting on my actual coop being secure for the night. And if I see Raccoons on my camera I will set the trap out again.

Back
Top Bottom