Going from Free Ranging to Not

berkchicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2018
Maryland
Hey guys,

So we’ve officially made the decision to go from free ranging our chickens for the last two years to keeping them in a large enclosure connected to their original run and coop area.

We’ve made his decision based on their safety (predators) and the simple fact that they are pooping all over the porch and driveway and ruining our yard and gardens. (No hard feelings of course - that’s what chickens do!)

We love our chickens - they are our pets - so I feel bit guilty about doing this.

They will be going from about an acre to about 2200 sq feet.

We will still let them out of the enclosure several times a week but just not all day, every day.

Has anyone done something like this?

I know I sound crazy, I just don’t want my girls (and boys) to be sad.

I'm glad you came to this decision. Free ranging sounds so "natural" but the reality is there are a lot of predators that enjoy a free chicken dinner. Also, I hear you on the mess. I let my wee flock out for about an hour in my backyard when weather permits. I stay out with them due to the high predator population. My little patio area is a bit messy with their poo right now, but come warmer temperatures that's an easy cleanup. Like @Chickassan mentioned, they will need a little adjustment time, but they'll be fine and you will enjoy your flock more.

I know I sound crazy, I just don’t want my girls (and boys) to be sad.
The crazy part, IMO, is thinking your birds are 'sad'.
Tho multiple males may be trouble when confined,
so you may have to make some 'adjustments' there.

They won't like the change, but they'll get used to it.

They will be going from about an acre to about 2200 sq feet.
How many birds do you have?
Will this area be covered with mesh to protect from aerial predators?

You sound exactly like me I’ve word for word said “I don’t want them to be sad” multiple times lol.
We are most likely going to do the opposite when the weather warms we are going to supervise free range and I’m nervous about it. We never see predators but maybe that’s because they are in their area usually.
My reasoning is so the grass will hopefully grow back well in their enclosure. I think if they are always inside they will make sure it doesn’t and I’m going to have to fence off one area at a time and I’ll feel bad if they have to stay in a smaller area.
Please let us know how it goes!
What predators do you have?

They don't like change. They will stay very close to the coop. The more you let them out, the farther they will eventually roam, but just like when you first keep them locked up, the change in routine, makes them nervous, and they often will chatter at you. Ignore it, and in a few days, that will become the new normal.

I found this out, one year, a pretty difficult winter, and predation was high. I kept mine securely in, but finally it was just so nice out, I let them out, and they stayed right next to the coop/run fence. I even tried to encourage them to move out, but they just moved behind me back to the coop. Eventually they did like it, but at first, it was scary to them.

Interestingly enough, different roosters behave differently when it comes to free ranging. Some like to really explore, and some tend to keep everyone relatively close to the set up.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom