Going in the coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyhen, Dec 18, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Has anyone else had trouble getting their hens to go in at night? Mine stay out to pitch black dark before going in. then its me out in the dark going down the hill to shut them up. Is there a way to get them in earlier before dark? Jean

2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My pullets started out going to bed right before dusk, then as it got dark earlier they started staying out on the back porch. I think the lights in the house throw them off and then it gets dark around them and I can't see back to the coop.

Anyway, I've started going out before dark and throwing a small treat in the pen and closing the door behind them. Then they put themselves to bed. I've thrown the treat in the coop before and that seemed to work, to save myself a trip.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Sundown is their trigger to go in. It's not pitch dark when our girls go in, right now sundown is at 4:13 and they're in by 4:25. Still enough light to lock them up and get back up to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by