Going On Lockdown Thursday....got a question

Lesalynn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Darnell, Louisiana
I'll be locking down my coturnix eggs on Thursday evening....should I go ahead and bump up the humidity a little bit? It's 57% at 100 degrees. How high should it be on entering lockdown?

57% should be fine, I've had quite a few times that they've started hatching in the incubator (not the hatcher) where the humidity is around 25%-30%.

Quote:
The humidity will go up as they hatch but try and keep it between 65-70. This helps them get out of the eggs and keeps them moist while they are working. Too much and you can drown them, too little and they can dry out and get stuck in the egg.

Quote:
The humidity will go up as they hatch but try and keep it between 65-70. This helps them get out of the eggs and keeps them moist while they are working. Too much and you can drown them, too little and they can dry out and get stuck in the egg.

I've had several hatch with the humidity around 30%, I think too high humidity is worse than too low. If the humidity is too high you can get sticky chicks too. The OP lives in Louisiana, I'm sure it's plenty humid there, I would just add a tiny bit of water to it. 57% should be just fine for hatching, make sure you lower the temps a degree during lockdown to make it easier for them.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. You've been helpful. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I miscaculated lockdown date.....is tonite. Got em locked down, and brooder all ready. Keep ya'll fingers crossed for us, please.
fl.gif
Have done everything to the best of knowledge. Will let ya know how it all turns out. Can't wait to see the little buggers!

Quote:
I've often had mine hatch while still in the turner....completely forgot when they were due to hatch.
hide.gif
That's why I know they hatch pretty darned good with 30-40% humidity
gig.gif
Best of luck
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom