Going on vacation, what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken995, Jun 10, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello all, my wife and I will be going on an Alaskan Cruise in a couple of weeks. My in-laws will be coming around to take care of animals, including the chickens.

The chickens just moved into the coop yesterday, so they will be staying in there for a couple of days to learn where home is. They will be let into the run later.

But I got to thinking that maybe I should leave them in the coop until we get back. Two reasons, one it would be easier for my in-laws, two I don't trust my dad's dog (we live on the same piece of land. My wife and I in one house, my dad and step-mom in the other). My dad and step-mom are going with us, so nobody will be around. I see my dad's dog getting bored and going to torment the chickens for fun. I don't think there is anyway he could get in, but to do think he would bark at them and jump at them on the opposite side of the fence. If I leave them in, I can wait to deal with them and my dad's dog when we get back.

I feel that if I leave them in until them, they won't really know what outside is and will be okay. But if I start letting them out now, they won't be very happy about being cooped up for a week later.

What would you do?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Initially my thoughts are not to leave them in the coop for almost 2 weeks. But I do not know what your coop is like and that would certainly be one determining factor. The other issue is heat. I see you are from Northern Colorado so you may not have any issues with hot weather. Here if I left mine in their coop for two weeks, even though there is plenty of ventilation, I fear they would be dead. I would really try and figure out some way that they can be let out in the run for at least part of the day. Just seems cruel to leave them cooped up for so long.

3. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Bring them with you. Chickens like it here in Alaska too.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Leave them inside till you get back.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by