Going on vacation

We are gone for about a week usually twice a year. My neighbors look in on things, but I need to make it easy for them. I have a large garbage can that I added do it yourself feeder ports to. 150 pounds of food lasts more than the week for my flock of 30+. I have multiple 5 gallon waters with nipples. That way if there is a leak there are back ups. I don't worry about the eggs. The nests get full and messy, but no harm is done to the birds. I just clean them when we return. If temps might dip below freezing I add a kiddy pool for water. Harder freezes would require heat or twice a day attention. I do have an automatic door for vacations as well, but if predators have been around I just leave them shut. As long as the coop is large enough (with deep bedding) a week inside doesn't really hurt them. (I would not recommend shutting them in if your coop is crowded or lacks ventilation) It sounds like you do have someone who would look in on them in emergencies. I think you can take your vacation and keep chickens too.

Having a real person to check on your flock is such a relief when you can make those connections. I am in the hospital for an extended stay, and left my flock in the care of a friend, who has really fallen in love with the chicken flock. Collecting eggs daily is a minor chore, my flock is 16 hens, two roosters. They get let out to roam in the afternoons, and back in at night. I have lights, an auto coop door, and electric perimeter fence. I use a 55 gallon waterer on the red nipples, and also have a five gallon metal can waterer. I use a modified 5 gallon bucket for a feeder, but my helper friend is also throwing out a couple scoops of food.
(I prefer to ferment my feed, as it lasts longer, but that is just too complicated for a friend)

I do have a couple of cameras, that I can check to be sure the auto door is working properly. Good luck searching for a reliable helper, it is a super valuable, worry free option if you can find them!
Patrick

I have seen a few posts where people have inquired about a good set up to go on vacation for a week or two. I have 27 chickens and 2 geese, but my bird family may continue to grow a small amount each year. Does anyone have any pictures to share of this sort of set up? Or portions of a set up, like the water and food part, the camera systems, the coop, dealing with the poop, etc? I do not have anyone to watch my chickens, plain and simple. I am willing to spend an unlimited amount of money to get a set up for my birds so I can leave them safely alone for 7 to 10 days. I am thinking about many huge automatic feeders and waters. Maybe adding on a 1000 ft.² covered runso they won’t be mad they’re not being free ranged? I have 30 feet of poop boards and they would get gross in just a couple of days, so that’s a dilemma. I have an emergency maintenance person that can fix any problems I find on the cameras that may arise while I’m gone. Any suggestions, and especially pics would mean a lot! Comments about it being cruel to leave them will not be helpful. My birds are my world, but my life is short, and I want to be able to leave my house occasionally.
We have 4"PVC for food and we have an automatic watering ststem. We can go for 2 weeks. Good luck.

I have seen a few posts where people have inquired about a good set up to go on vacation for a week or two. I have 27 chickens and 2 geese, but my bird family may continue to grow a small amount each year. Does anyone have any pictures to share of this sort of set up? Or portions of a set up, like the water and food part, the camera systems, the coop, dealing with the poop, etc? I do not have anyone to watch my chickens, plain and simple. I am willing to spend an unlimited amount of money to get a set up for my birds so I can leave them safely alone for 7 to 10 days. I am thinking about many huge automatic feeders and waters. Maybe adding on a 1000 ft.² covered runso they won’t be mad they’re not being free ranged? I have 30 feet of poop boards and they would get gross in just a couple of days, so that’s a dilemma. I have an emergency maintenance person that can fix any problems I find on the cameras that may arise while I’m gone. Any suggestions, and especially pics would mean a lot! Comments about it being cruel to leave them will not be helpful. My birds are my world, but my life is short, and I want to be able to leave my house occasionally.
First, if you don't have automatic doors, get one! Be sure it works properly!

I knowyou said you have no one to watch. Just an idea, this is what I have set up. I live on 20 acres, dead end road, so not many neighbors, but!!a good church going family with several children who learn how to work. I hae hired several of these kids over the years to take care of things when Iam gone. It was great, very responsible. I think when kids come from a big family they learn responsibility right away. Maybe, check with a local church. I am not a church goer, but it does not seem to matter to this family. I hope you get the hint as to`very big family. Good luck

I knowyou said you have no one to watch. Just an idea, this is what I have set up. I live on 20 acres, dead end road, so not many neighbors, but!!a good church going family with several children who learn how to work. I hae hired several of these kids over the years to take care of things when Iam gone. It was great, very responsible. I think when kids come from a big family they learn responsibility right away. Maybe, check with a local church. I am not a church goer, but it does not seem to matter to this family. I hope you get the hint as to`very big family. Good luck

I found someone, after much effort (not exactly qualified though!) to spend 30 minutes a day at my house caring for my birds and the fee was $100 a day. Truthfully, I’d rather spend $50,000 creating a self care chicken set up and not have to rely on anyone. Being taken advantage of by someone and also having to trust them to care for the birds I love so much just doesn’t work for me! Money is irrelevant, morals are not.

I guess it is correct what @aart says, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. I will resign myself to never leaving my house for more than a day. It is, and always will be, still worth having my birds!! Thank you everyone for your advice.
Just a thought but you could set up an automatic door, a camera so you can keep watch while gone, a neighbor or friend on emergency call, large feeders/waterers and an attached predator proof extra large run where they will also have access to their coop. Have someone come over every 3 days or so to make sure everything is ok as well.

I read your post, about the $100 a day hire. And the fact that you have given up on going away. Guess I am just lucky. I live where there are large Apostolic families as I said. Never had a problem, pay $15 an hour or more, I have been gone for 10 days or more, do not travel anymore, but have used these kids when I had surgery or an illness, it is important as I am widowed. Did you take my advise and check with church. There must be some way you can leave for days, I feel better when there is an actual body checking on things. The boy I have now started with me when he was 12, now 15, Just a gem, does some heavy chores for me now . Good luck. Try the church thing,

We are gone for about a week usually twice a year. My neighbors look in on things, but I need to make it easy for them. I have a large garbage can that I added do it yourself feeder ports to. 150 pounds of food lasts more than the week for my flock of 30+. I have multiple 5 gallon waters with nipples. That way if there is a leak there are back ups. I don't worry about the eggs. The nests get full and messy, but no harm is done to the birds. I just clean them when we return. If temps might dip below freezing I add a kiddy pool for water. Harder freezes would require heat or twice a day attention. I do have an automatic door for vacations as well, but if predators have been around I just leave them shut. As long as the coop is large enough (with deep bedding) a week inside doesn't really hurt them. (I would not recommend shutting them in if your coop is crowded or lacks ventilation) It sounds like you do have someone who would look in on them in emergencies. I think you can take your vacation and keep chickens too.
Do you have pictures of your big feeder and waterer?

I'm just here all day, every day, but it's still a pain having to top up feed bowls in the afternoon. I would love to have a nice ample, dry, covered (non pest attracting) feeder setup for the run. Their coop feeders have been fine, but my chores in the run never end! I don't know how an older or less mobile version of myself would do, or what I would do if I ever got sick.

At some point, I would also like to be able to take a weekend away with my husband. I know people who have a lot more animals than we do, and they take trips! We could have someone come by and check every few days, and there is a close neighbor to keep an eye for emergencies, but I really can't ask someone to come out 3 or 4x a day and do what I do day in day out for my birds. Once or twice a day, if they are close, is about the max I think I could ask someone to do. Even 2x feels like a lot.to ask.

Back
Top Bottom