Going on vacation

Having a real person to check on your flock is such a relief when you can make those connections. I am in the hospital for an extended stay, and left my flock in the care of a friend, who has really fallen in love with the chicken flock. Collecting eggs daily is a minor chore, my flock is 16 hens, two roosters. They get let out to roam in the afternoons, and back in at night. I have lights, an auto coop door, and electric perimeter fence. I use a 55 gallon waterer on the red nipples, and also have a five gallon metal can waterer. I use a modified 5 gallon bucket for a feeder, but my helper friend is also throwing out a couple scoops of food.
(I prefer to ferment my feed, as it lasts longer, but that is just too complicated for a friend)

I do have a couple of cameras, that I can check to be sure the auto door is working properly. Good luck searching for a reliable helper, it is a super valuable, worry free option if you can find them!
Patrick
Do you have pics of your feeder and big waterer? I don't like the cup waterers we have, but I did get some different nipples to try. I need a good feeder setup though...

Do you have pictures of your setup? I want to help build something for my brother who is just getting started with chickens.
We made this for the geese and put it up high so the chickens can’t get the goose feed.
IMG_2490.jpeg

Do you have pictures of your big feeder and waterer?

This is the feeder I use. There are plugs for keeping rodents out at night. 20230531_083804.jpg

I'm just here all day, every day, but it's still a pain having to top up feed bowls in the afternoon. I would love to have a nice ample, dry, covered (non pest attracting) feeder setup for the run. Their coop feeders have been fine, but my chores in the run never end! I don't know how an older or less mobile version of myself would do, or what I would do if I ever got sick.

At some point, I would also like to be able to take a weekend away with my husband. I know people who have a lot more animals than we do, and they take trips! We could have someone come by and check every few days, and there is a close neighbor to keep an eye for emergencies, but I really can't ask someone to come out 3 or 4x a day and do what I do day in day out for my birds. Once or twice a day, if they are close, is about the max I think I could ask someone to do. Even 2x feels like a lot.to ask.

Back
Top Bottom