Going outside

How predato
r proof is the building? A snake could definitely get in there as could rodents attracted to the feed.

My other thought is that they can fly to the top of the gate and end up on the wrong side of it. Is there anything on the other side to worry about?
no just empty space and that's the coop its in the grown chickens are separate

Hello!

Mind if I piggy back off this thread, as I have exactly the same type of question? (If not be polite
smile.png
)

Hubby is worried that since it gets into the teens overnight yet, and right now it's only 30 with some wind, that it is too cold yet to take the chicks out. Plus, since we have 16 chicks, they will be real hard to catch again to bring them back in. They would Only be in the coop

was just built, as we don't have the fencing up for the run just yet. (ground is still too frozen to put in the fence posts) Thoughts?

no just empty space and that's the coop its in the grown chickens are separate

I'd just take out the gate, then. It's just another thing to get tangled up in. And it looks like snakes aren't going to be an issue at all for a while -- that's a lot of snow!

Hello!

Mind if I piggy back off this thread, as I have exactly the same type of question? (If not be polite
smile.png
)

Hubby is worried that since it gets into the teens overnight yet, and right now it's only 30 with some wind, that it is too cold yet to take the chicks out. Plus, since we have 16 chicks, they will be real hard to catch again to bring them back in. They would Only be in the coop

was just built, as we don't have the fencing up for the run just yet. (ground is still too frozen to put in the fence posts) Thoughts?

When you ask if it's too cold to take them out, do you mean can you put them in the coop to stay without heat? Are they off extra heat in the house? They look to be entirely feathered and should be. I'd suggest taking them out in the morning and letting them spend the daytime in the coop. Maybe on Saturday so you can check on them as often as you wish ;-) With 16, there is no reason they cannot huddle for extra warmth at night and they're plenty feathered to handle the cold. It's just going to be a bit of a surprise for them having been reared in a human temp house. They may be soft-transitioned by bringing them in for the night but at this point, it's more about your comfort than theirs. Those down jackets they have on are really excellent insulation. You will need to make sure you can keep their water liquid, of course.

ETA: I zoomed the pic and they aren't actually feathered on head/neck. That makes a difference. Can you move a heat source with them?

Last edited:
All but the cockerel are quite feathered out. The Cockerel (which is in the middle of the left huddled group) is still a ball of fluff. I took them completely off the heat lamp per suggestion 2 days ago. The only real issue, is that their brooding box sits right next to the woodstove, which when is burning good, is toasty. The heat lamp can be moved with them, hubby even has it all rigged and ready for use in the coop, should they need it.

PLanning on putting down a thick layer of straw in the coop as well. Should help with the floor being cold.

Edit: Debid - hubby means too cold to take them out at all (for acclimation periods), let alone leave them in the coop over night.

Last edited:
All but the cockerel are quite feathered out. The Cockerel (which is in the middle of the left huddled group) is still a ball of fluff. I took them completely off the heat lamp per suggestion 2 days ago. The only real issue, is that their brooding box sits right next to the woodstove, which when is burning good, is toasty. The heat lamp can be moved with them, hubby even has it all rigged and ready for use in the coop, should they need it.

PLanning on putting down a thick layer of straw in the coop as well. Should help with the floor being cold.

Edit: Debid - hubby means too cold to take them out at all (for acclimation periods), let alone leave them in the coop over night.

Oh, well that's easy, then. Put their heat lamp in the coop but away from the roost and at one end so the opposite end is cold. Secure the everloving crap out of it. Done. They'll move to the roost on their own as they would prefer to sleep up high. Do make sure the coop is well-ventilated. A lot of people think they should close it up tight in the cold but that's the exact opposite of what you want. The moisture from their breathing needs to exit and the best way for that to happen is to have it good and open up high. Heat rises and carries wet with it.

I have this same question. It's over 80 here in Florida. I keep mine in the garage and turn the lamp off during the day. The youngest chick is about a week old. They are staying as far away from the lamp as they can right now. My reds are almost completely feathered out (about 3 weeks old) I was thinking about taking them out to their coop to let them play outside (supervised) then bringing them in at night.

Last edited:
I get mine later in the spring just so i can get them outside during their first week or two. Temperatures during the day can be close to 80. I use a plastic 5 gallon bucket to transport them. Turned on it's side in the sun it heats like a brooder. I use a wire ring which can be put anywhere in the yard and is easily moved.

I live in NW Florida, and it's been in the 80's most days here, lower 70's at night. Now, the cold weather is NOT finished yet, but I can put my chicks out into my chicken tractor, with a heat lamp, and they'll do just fine. The run on the tractor is big enough that the chicks can either huddle under the heat lamp, if needed, or scatter to the food and water and other areas of the run to stay cool. It's worked very well in the past, and I usually put the chicks out at a month if their feathers are looking good. My group inside now are flying, so I'd say they're good to go!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom