Going rate for babysitting!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AhBee01, Aug 6, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Songster

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    What is the going rate! I live in ohio. It will be 2 children, 1 and 2 are the ages!
    3-4 hrs 3 days a week!
    I'm a mother of 3. Twins 20, and a 7 yr old! This will be while my 7 yr old is in school!
    My twins are off on their own. I never hire a sitter, so I have no idea what to charge!
    She suggested 7-8dollars, but she doesn't have any idea how much either, since she has never needed child care before!
    It will be in my home mostly!
    Thanks any input will help!

2. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    How well are the children behaved at 1 & 2 ?! A lot of running around and chasing kids. Is she a good friend that you're trying to help out? I would think if it works for you then do it. Most day cares are outrageous. I would think 8-10 $ a day. [​IMG]

3. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Songster

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    my daycare charged $95 wk for part time care for a 3yo. it was $145 fulltime. part time is upto 5hrs, full time is up to 10hrs, hourly rate was NON-regular care $10/hr, so basically here she would have to sign up for part time care.... babies under two cost alot more, theyre considered infants. when i lived in IL it was $175 for a 4yo fulltime weekly!!!! oh and that was Each kid. i didnt get a break for having two in care.

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Which is why I cant afford to work.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

really, its true. We got 1.75 an hour per kid 10 years ago when I was 15. I am sure an adult, fulltime experienced caregiver should be much more.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I pay 10 dollars hour for my 2 boys they are 8 and 4.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I would babysit our neighbor's three kids (all younger than 10) and they paid me 5 dollars an hour [​IMG] Sometimes I thought it was too much.

And then I had to babysit my other neighbor's pets. 2 Gerbils, 1 cat, and 5 fish... and, guess what they paid me?

70 BUCKS! and that was to take care of them for a week!

Of course, then there's our other neighbors who I babysat their pets ... 2 rabbits (1 had babies while I was sitting), 1 snake, 4 chickens, 2 hamsters. For two weeks I watched them and what did they pay me?! 29 BUCKS! Who does an odd number anyway? Just make it 30... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    norm I get payed 25 for 3 hrs from ppl in my church. They choose to pay that not me

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Holy cow I am worth more then I thought I was!

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Songster

May 8, 2008
    Where I live the going rate is about $13 an hour. Kid ya not.
    The sitters get paid more than daycare providers and most full time employed adults. I hired one once when my dd was 2. She was recommended. $13 an hour. PLUS TIP. My dh got home before me(business meeting) and said dd had a soaked diaper that was down to her knees. Diapers and etc along with a changing table were right in the living room. Needless to say we never used the girl again.

10. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I used to watch a little girl and I charged $70 a week 6 days a week and 5 bucks extra if the mom was late or had to stay at work or whatever. Worked for us and was way cheaper than daycare in the area which is like $150 a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: