1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going rate for turkey eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Blisschick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a buyer, but I'm not sure what to charge him. They are mixed color heritage turkeys. I'm thinking $11-12.00 per dozen?

2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Sounds pretty fair... I have seen them go for 3 times that or more on ebay...

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    $2.50-$3.00 an egg.

That's the medium range I found when I surveyed the field of all online turkey hatching egg breeders that I could find last year.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I was looking at what the starting bids were on eBay, but they weren't a good indicator, since some people started the bids at .99 for 6 eggs. I know for a fact they go for much more than that, and I saw some where the bids had way exceeded what you'd pay in cash for them, so that wasn't much of a help, either. I was thinking at least $1 per egg, since poults sell at least $8 apiece. I had no idea that eggs could go for more than that. I guess I'll tell him $24, since they're mixed.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree with 3.00 per egg . . . if your talking fertile hatching eggs.

6. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    $2 each for mixed breed sounds fair to me. I have seen "pure breeds" go for $3-$4 each.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I agree with at LEAST $2 per egg, but I would likely ask $2.50-3 per egg. Turkeys cost a lot to feed and produce those eggs!! Even mutt breed turks! So, I'd say a minimum of $24 per dozen.

8. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    I understand wanting to supplement your feed bill and having the turkeys pay there way. But I won't go broke if I don't charge for eggs. When I was a kid, my mentor gave me some eggs to hatch. I will never forget. I am a sucker for kids that are interested in raising turkeys. I will never charge them anything. To me the kids hold the future for these turkeys. If I can get a kid to love turkeys, then the turkeys have a future.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    For kids doing 4-H, FFA, or school projects I'd probably just give them the eggs. I like encouraging them.

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    This is an adult breeder who also buys and sells chickens. If it were kids, I probably would give them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by