Going to a show, critique my birds! (OEGB, d'uccles, bantam cochin)

You aren't the first person to say that. She is not mottled, all her feathers are solid colored. Plus she is only about 7-8 months old. If she were mottled she'd have to be probably 5-6 years old to have that much 'white' on her. She has no white, just dark grey, light grey, and really light grey
smile.png

why not go to the websites of the breed clubs of the breeds you are breeding and study the standard and talk to experts? why learn the hardway instead of the easy way?
i cant tell you much about any of the birds posted because of the positions and quality of the pics, but ill tell you one thing, that cochin is spash, she has 3 different colors, she looks a tad dark, but proper for a blue splash. the reason people think she is blue mottled is because they are used to seeing washed out crappy splashes. if you breed splashXsplash you will get washed out splashed birds. for proper spashing, you need to breed blueXblue, and for proper blue you need blackXblack, and for good black you will need mottled, and for good mottled you will need black. its a complicated process, i have every color of cochin listed above, except splash, but i do have a blue mottled, and a barred. by 2012 ill have blue barred as well.
and about what you said about her not being a mottled because she has "too much white", proper mottling is characterized by every other feather ending in a white tear drop, so theoretically, proper mottled has white evenly distributed throughout the bird, and does NOT have solid white feathers.

here is an example of a good splash coloring (not too dark, not too light)
047-4.jpg

What colours are the cochin's parents? Mottling can manifest with what is sometimes called "hysterical" mottling, and that fits the cochin better than splash. It is also possible that the bird is BOTH.

Quote:
Quote:
She is not mottled; mottled birds have white tips on their feathers, all her feathers are solid colored. I've seen this bird in person, you haven't
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you had read my post I said she was not mottled because she had too much 'white' (she has no white by the way) for her age. My black mottled hens don't even have that much mottling and the oldest is at least 4 years old.

As for your question of why do I learn the hard way? I can't read something and understand it very well, I have to see it to know what to do
smile.png

And you cannot get good blues from breeding black X black, all you'll get that way is more blacks.

Quote:
The pen she hatched from had a splash roo, blue mottled roo, splash hens, black hens, and blue hens. So it's not possible genetically for her to be mottled.

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm having to defend myself when this thread has nothing to do with wondering the color of my bird
hmm.png

Here she is as a baby, clearly a splash:
PICT0241.jpg

PICT0235.jpg

PICT0233.jpg

She was about 7-8 weeks old in these pics.

Back
Top Bottom