Going to be cold tonight...

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
So I moved my 8 week old chicks outside to their coop 3 days ago. It has been no cooler than about 65 at night and 85-90 during the day. We're in for a cold snap tonight. It's supposed to get down to 45. I am soooo tempted to just throw the brooder back together and bring them in. Are they going to be alright? Should I drag out the heat lamp? Ugh, I feel like a new mother. Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

It's not going to hurt them a bit to come inside for the night. You don't neccessarily have to give them a heat lamp (I wouldn't) but bringing them inside and putting them in a dog crate or box is just erring on the side of caution in my book. Everyone's going to tell you they'll be fine, follow your instincts.

I'm beginning to think that it'd be less work to throw the brooder back together than to hike out to the coop every 15 minutes and check on them, as I am wont to do. Oh, how these silly birds grow on you! I spent most of the day soaked to the skin because it was raining and I wanted to make sure the coop roof wasn't leaking. Birds stayed nice and dry, me not so much.

I'm beginning to think that it'd be less work to throw the brooder back together than to hike out to the coop every 15 minutes and check on them, as I am wont to do. Oh, how these silly birds grow on you! I spent most of the day soaked to the skin because it was raining and I wanted to make sure the coop roof wasn't leaking. Birds stayed nice and dry, me not so much.
Well, when I was a kid and thought chicks would be cold, I'd go sleep with them in the coop!

Well, when I was a kid and thought chicks would be cold, I'd go sleep with them in the coop!

You're trying to kill me, aren't you?
barnie.gif

lau.gif
That's exactly what I was going to say. They probably will be fine, but if it makes you feel better you can put their old light with a fairly low watt bulb (red or other dark color so they don't fuss at you for keeping them up) on the far end of the coop away from the roost area. More than likely they will just snuggle each other, but maybe you could rest easy knowing the light was there if they needed it.

8 week old chicks will be fine in those temps. I had 5 week old chicks in their coop outside at those temps and they are all still happy and healthy 3 months later. Try not to worry so much.
smile.png

Well TexasLea I think you have nothing to worry about. I have 4 to 8 week old chicks out in the field house in Alaska, it gets to upper 30's low 40's at night. Those chick do just fine, no extra heat, no lights. If they get cold they can cuddle. Come October I'll start thinking about giving them supplemental heat, during the summer no way. I know, I'm a mean guy but they do just fine. They existed without our help for ages so we need to let them be chickens.

Well TexasLea I think you have nothing to worry about. I have 4 to 8 week old chicks out in the field house in Alaska, it gets to upper 30's low 40's at night. Those chick do just fine, no extra heat, no lights. If they get cold they can cuddle. Come October I'll start thinking about giving them supplemental heat, during the summer no way. I know, I'm a mean guy but they do just fine. They existed without our help for ages so we need to let them be chickens.

itll make um appreciate the sun.

Back
Top Bottom