Going to build a new duck house

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
The plan is to build a new duck house. Husband wants a walk in type.
We will most likely put it in a different spot. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get the ducks to go in at night if the house is different and not in the same place. LOL The khakis don't like change.

Will I need to lock them in there for a day or two to get them used to it (which they will hate)? Any tips are welcome.

I finished my new coop last December. I expected difficulty with the transition but they did great. A couple of things probably helped. One, I placed the coop so when the door is open it hits the fence. This allows the ducks to be herded from behind.
729B0792-7D62-4E81-A341-0ABE2916A4EF.jpeg

Second, I started leaving food and treats in the coop as it was being built. That lured them in and made them less afraid. Chopped leaf lettuce in the water bowl was a huge draw.
Lastly, after two days of going in and out fine, I did lock them in for a couple of days. Not to get them used to the coop, but because we were hit with the polar vortex and ungodly temperatures. But, I suspect this helped them adapt even faster.
Good luck with your building project. I suspect the ducks know a good thing when they see it.

I finished my new coop last December. I expected difficulty with the transition but they did great. A couple of things probably helped. One, I placed the coop so when the door is open it hits the fence. This allows the ducks to be herded from behind.
View attachment 3553998
Second, I started leaving food and treats in the coop as it was being built. That lured them in and made them less afraid. Chopped leaf lettuce in the water bowl was a huge draw.
Lastly, after two days of going in and out fine, I did lock them in for a couple of days. Not to get them used to the coop, but because we were hit with the polar vortex and ungodly temperatures. But, I suspect this helped them adapt even faster.
Good luck with your building project. I suspect the ducks know a good thing when they see it.
Does that door back there go into a house or is the open area the whole coop?
We have a small secure porch attached to the duck house now. I want a larger porch area. My husband wants a shed type walk in house for them due to nasty storms we might get. (in case of hurricane/tropical storms).
I also have younger ducks I introduced to the 2 adults. They haven't slept in the same house yet, though. Can't really work it out without having to chase and capture the young ones and put them in a blocked off area. inside
One adult chases them away. The other adult flees from them. :confused:

I always put a little fence up near their door to herd them in. even after several years its still helpful for those days that I have to put them in early because I may have an appointment or something else like a sudden severe storm with hail.. I run out and herd them into their house.

oh and you're right they hate being locked up so especially if the weath. er is hot you cannot do that to them...
also you can add a dividing fence between the old ducks and new ducks , I didnt think I could do it but once I got started I was able to

Attachments

• duckhousedivider.jpg
    duckhousedivider.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 31
  • dhd2.jpg
    dhd2.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 29
Does that door back there go into a house or is the open area the whole coop?
We have a small secure porch attached to the duck house now. I want a larger porch area. My husband wants a shed type walk in house for them due to nasty storms we might get. (in case of hurricane/tropical storms).
I also have younger ducks I introduced to the 2 adults. They haven't slept in the same house yet, though. Can't really work it out without having to chase and capture the young ones and put them in a blocked off area. inside
One adult chases them away. The other adult flees from them. :confused:
There is an inside house part. Since I live in the south (Memphis, TN), I never close the door from the mesh area to the house area. During the polar vortex I covered the mesh with heavy plastic. My ducks only sleep in the coop and free range in the garden during the day. I bought the plans for my coop off Etsy for $30 if you need ideas. The plans were for a chicken coop so I had to modify it for my ducks.
A9779DCA-201D-4F11-9205-555AA237DE6B.jpeg

665AD701-3808-409C-8EA5-240678E1DDF5.jpeg
B0DC031E-5443-4B63-8E10-0C9C77DB5A67.jpeg
A6F61CC0-3E9D-47FE-837E-8EA60A4772F4.jpeg

Plywood covers this house portion and I store food, shavings, and hay on top.

There is an inside house part. Since I live in the south (Memphis, TN), I never close the door from the mesh area to the house area. During the polar vortex I covered the mesh with heavy plastic. My ducks only sleep in the coop and free range in the garden during the day. I bought the plans for my coop off Etsy for $30 if you need ideas. The plans were for a chicken coop so I had to modify it for my ducks.
View attachment 3554240
View attachment 3554243View attachment 3554245View attachment 3554247
Plywood covers this house portion and I store food, shavings, and hay on top.
I know my ducks would love all that open area.

The plan is to build a new duck house. Husband wants a walk in type.
We will most likely put it in a different spot. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get the ducks to go in at night if the house is different and not in the same place. LOL The khakis don't like change.

Will I need to lock them in there for a day or two to get them used to it (which they will hate)? Any tips are welcome.
Well, I have Runners and food works every time! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom