Going to build a self cleaning coop

ClubDana

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
Recently I built 2 self-cleaning ponds for my ducks and geese and now I am going to attempt modifying the design for a self-cleaning coop. My plan is to build a large box for the bottom with a pond liner and a large drain hole on one end. I will fill it with large pea pebbles and/or river rocks. The birds free range all day so I will use a pump from the lake on a timer to flood the base once per day just above the stones, and then have a drain valve on a timer also allow all the water and waste to drain away. If necessary I can use some version of a solar pool heater to heat the water for extra cleaning power. My research indicates there is no problem with the bird's feet and the smooth stones and I will make sure they are too large for them to eat. My question here is does anyone have any ideas on why this will not work before I try to build it?

What are the winters like where you are? Chickens are highly susceptible to frostbite in the winter especially their feet and combs. I would be concerned about wet cold rock in the winters when you are trying to use bedding as a way to generate warmth. They can also get bumblefoot from continually jumping on to hard surfaces and even if you have ramps galore they seem bent on jumping down to get in front of another. Just some thoughts. We are installing a pull out tray on the bottom of our coop that can be pulled out with bedding in it to either be dumped or cleaned and pushed back in flush with a lock. I think it sounds like an awesome idea, who wouldn't want a self cleaning coop, just a couple things I think you should keep in mind. The other would be deadly predators can squeeze in a 1 inch hole so making sure there are no openings in the coop where they are completely defenseless.

What are the winters like where you are? Chickens are highly susceptible to frostbite in the winter especially their feet and combs. I would be concerned about wet cold rock in the winters when you are trying to use bedding as a way to generate warmth. They can also get bumblefoot from continually jumping on to hard surfaces and even if you have ramps galore they seem bent on jumping down to get in front of another. Just some thoughts. We are installing a pull out tray on the bottom of our coop that can be pulled out with bedding in it to either be dumped or cleaned and pushed back in flush with a lock. I think it sounds like an awesome idea, who wouldn't want a self cleaning coop, just a couple things I think you should keep in mind. The other would be deadly predators can squeeze in a 1 inch hole so making sure there are no openings in the coop where they are completely defenseless.
I am in Orlando so our winters are quite mild, the birds free range all day and share a yard with 2 dogs and a cat, so the coop is strictly for night time and the only predators I am worried about are raccoons. I will work to make it predator proof, but I am assuming that if something is trying to break in the geese, ducks and chickens will make enough racket to alert us or the dogs.

Is the water from the coop returning to the lake? Would the high nutrients in the poop water cause an algal bloom or poison your fish? How big is the lake?

If the water runs to the garden, would it be dilute enough not to burn plants?

My concern too would be that regardless of how good the drainage is, eventually it's going to take on a sewer-like smell. In a rock type substrate, flooded with water, it's a bet that water is going to gradually accumulate in little nooks and crannies and turn into sludge with the addition of the waste products and spilled food from the chickens. We've all seen that thick, dark colored slime that hides in crevices....

The concept is brilliant....but I think without a way to make absolutely certain that every bit of water and refuse that runs through the rock from the coop gets out and completely dry, the gradual buildup might be a problem. Keep us posted on what happens if you decide to do this...it could be a game changer for a lot of people if the problems of accumulation and possibilities of bumblefoot are overcome!!

Recently I built 2 self-cleaning ponds for my ducks and geese and now I am going to attempt modifying the design for a self-cleaning coop. My plan is to build a large box for the bottom with a pond liner and a large drain hole on one end. I will fill it with large pea pebbles and/or river rocks. The birds free range all day so I will use a pump from the lake on a timer to flood the base once per day just above the stones, and then have a drain valve on a timer also allow all the water and waste to drain away. If necessary I can use some version of a solar pool heater to heat the water for extra cleaning power. My research indicates there is no problem with the bird's feet and the smooth stones and I will make sure they are too large for them to eat. My question here is does anyone have any ideas on why this will not work before I try to build it?

How did you make self cleaning duck ponds?? I am looking for any help I can get! Thanks

Any rocks in the bottom of a pond is not good.

If you do a bottom drain (all edges angled in to middle for drain) then have that go to a filter with strong pump. That is the best pond cleaner/filter.

This is not something that will work for a coop.

Back
Top Bottom