1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to have only one hatch. What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I've got a problem. All the eggs I've gotten from mail order I think are duds except one. That means a lonely little chick. I really don't know where to get local chicks around here and my youngest chicks are three weeks old. Would this work if I put a barrier between them?

Thoughts?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sure!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't put a newborn in with 3-week-olds. First off, they have different temperature requirements (a day-old should have about 95 degrees, 3-w/o's should have about 80). Second, the 3-w/o's are easily twice as big as the day-old unless the day-old is LF and the 3-w/o's are bantam. Third, even if they are the same relative size, they are not at the same maturity level. A day-old will sit around and sleep a lot, 3-w/o's are very active.

If you have a feather duster you can put it in a brooder with the lone chick, this should keep it company. Otherwise, put a small stuffed animal in the brooder with the new chick. When the chick is older (2-3 weeks) you could probably then put it with the other chicks, but not right now.

ETA: If you have one chick who is smaller than the rest in your 3-w/o group you can put it with the newborn when it is 4-5 days old. Just be sure to watch them closely to make sure the older one is not picking on the younger one.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might try posting on your State thread to see if anyone near you can help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99679

Housing them side by side with a barrier as you proposed is a good idea. It really should help. You can add a stuffed animal or maybe hang something like a dust mop for it to get under for comfort. Putting in a small mirror so it can see its own reflection also helps keep them from being so lonely.

Good luck!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Again, I have to disagree. Day-olds and 3-week-olds have different temperature requirements and shouldn't be in the same brooder.

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I had a lone chick hatch today (my first hatch ever). I have two 3 1/2 week old chicks, and opted to put the new baby in once she was dry. I moved the cuckoo maran chick to a small hen house with a heat light (she's enclosed) nd kept our silkie chick with the newborn. pluggie, the silkie, is kinda special and so far they seem to be getting along splendidly. I was farid the CM would tromple the baby.

Anyway, Pluggie the silkie baby acts more like a newborn. She's all cuddled up with new Wynona. She's about 1 1/2 times the new peep's size, and was behind in growth from her hatching mates (who I adopted out). She kept getting "poop plugs'' stuck to her butt (hence "Pluggie") in her first week or so, which I had to manually remove, cusing a bald butt. I suspect she's literally a dwarf or something, beyond being bantam.

I like the idea of a partition if you can, or keeping her separate with a mirror & comfort item, unless your other chicks are small.

Let us know how it goes...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had some chicks that were a month difference in age. When two chicks were a month old and the other was two months old I put them together. I didn't have any problems. When the lone chick was in a brooder box I put a terry cloth in with it. It like to sleep on the cloth.

[​IMG]

8. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    My first birds, I had 4 week old chicks and 1 week old chicks and they did really well. But I can't be sure of these. Sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by