Going to Nest every day but no eggs

Sep 18, 2019
SW Washington
hi I have 15 chickens ages 2-3 years old and the production has slowed to 4-6 a day. Also by egg color we can tell that really 6 chickens are doing all the work and I am noticing that most of the chickens still come in and nest every day, but leave without dropping eggs. Is this just habit/ wanting to nest on eggs? Considering most are not laying at all is it more likely that something else is affecting them and it isn't just old age?

hi I have 15 chickens ages 2-3 years old and the production has slowed to 4-6 a day. Also by egg color we can tell that really 6 chickens are doing all the work and I am noticing that most of the chickens still come in and nest every day, but leave without dropping eggs. Is this just habit/ wanting to nest on eggs? Considering most are not laying at all is it more likely that something else is affecting them and it isn't just old age?
How hot has it been there? Many start slowing down in production when the weather gets hot.

What breeds do you have? What are you feeding them? And have there been any changes to their environment or possible stressors?
2 Bard Rocks
2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
2 Silver Laced Wyandottes
2 Rhode Island Reds
1 welsummer

We have been feeding Bar Ale Organic Feed, I was plan on switching after these next 2 bags switching to crumble. I don't believe there has been any other changes. They have a nice run a lot of space partially covered for protection.

There are chickens who eat their eggs right after laying them, without leaving a crumb. Have you ever feed them anything like crushed egg shell that could have started egg eating?

Is this a cracked grain formulation?
What are the protein and calcium percentages?
I also had 2 other chickens lay soft eggs this morning on the roost. It might just be a calcium deficiency. What is a bummer is i have oyster shells that I gave them about a week ago for a few days but they didn't seem interested so I stopped!

cracked Corn in Pellet with Oyster Shells
Calcium 3.2-4.2
Whats the protein percentage?
So cracked corn and pelleted parts too?
Is OS mixed into this feed as well?

I also had 2 other chickens lay soft eggs this morning on the roost. It might just be a calcium deficiency. What is a bummer is i have oyster shells that I gave them about a week ago for a few days but they didn't seem interested so I stopped!
OS should be in a separate container, always available.
It can take them awhile to catch on to eat this.

Back
Top Bottom