Going to try this out...soon or this spring...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by djackjr, Oct 31, 2008.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Ok deciding on what bator to buy.?? How many eggs to start with?? and am I crazy for doing it this way vs buying day old chicks. What do I do witht the roos?? Cannot have them sigh...[​IMG]

If the wife finds :thun out think she might kick me out to the garage with the eggs......and have me live with the chickens..duc

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Too many questions at once. I would start with an incubator that doesn't cost too much. I would keep in mind those roos, you have to get rid of them somehow. For me I find hatching more satisfying and less stressful than ordering chicks

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My advice is to buy a good used bater second hand, it's cheaper, since you are just trying this out to see if you are even goingto like hatching. Second, if you get roo's, list them free on craigslist and someone will take them I'm sure. Best of luck whatever you decide [​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You can easily build you own bator for under $20.00 or buy a cheap hovabator 1602N. Day old chicks can be sexed with 90% accuracy where hatching your own may give youmore rooster, more hens or 50/50. If you have enough money you can buy a turner for the hovabator

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Roos make good soup, fried chicken or roast chicken. If you don't like chicken, you could sell them or take them to a local livestock auction.

6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I love the hova-bator 1588. I never have to check it...plug and go...

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You might just as well go and get yourself a good bator and a turner.. who are we kidding?? once you start you are hooked.. It is a disease I tell you.

I started 4 years ago with 7 B Orp pullets "for our own eggs"..
    I have 13 bators .. 8 hovabators w/turners, 2 others w/128 egg capacity and one 3000 egg capacity that works, and 2 more just like it that I have not gotten around to rewiring, yet..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by