Going "whole hog"

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MrChicken207, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Anybody else get the feeling of just going whole hog with chickens. I'm talking ordering 25 or 50 per breed of 6 or 8 different breeds? I mean, there are so many different breeds that are on conservation lists and needing help. Alot of these breeds are dual purpose and would be good to sell off some of the eggs and freeze/give away/sell some of the extra males. Another idea I have is that, being in a very rural area quite far away from any of the major hatcheries, I could sell off live birds to local homesteaders (rural, and suburban) as well as provide some fresh blood for the local small farmers and Amish/Mennonite families to keep their backyard flocks thriving.

Any thoughts or similar feelings? I'm pretty sure someone else in a rural area of New England, Montana, Alaska, or Canada has thought of this as well.

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Let's see your talking up to 800 birds. Lot a work and feed there. Also I found out this year that if you're not careful you can hatch out way more than you can sell. [​IMG]

Last year the chicken business was really hot around here. I guess a lot of people thought it was easy money because everyone and thier brother seems to be selling chickens this year.

I'm just hoping the point of lay pullets start moving this fall because chicks didn't sell at all this spring. The roos aren't much of a problem to get rid of but I don't really make much money off of them anymore. They still sell but you can't get decent money out of them like the last few years.

Good luck.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Actually it would be about 400 chicks ordered and about 300 kept as breeders. I was planning on25 straight run and 25 pullets if each breed. I'd have about 36 hens and 3 or 4 roosters per breed. I'm thinking twice about it but there are so many breeds that i'd love to have. It's not easy to narrow it down.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    There will be less of a demand for your hatchery birds. They won't really be preserving the breed as most hatchery birds don't fit the breed standard. The best way to preserve the breed is to buy birds form reputable breeders even though it will cost you more money it will be worth it. That is my opinion.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by