gold laced cochin chicks: when to handle them?

Flight Of Fancy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
SE Kansas
ive read that your suposed to wait a few weeks before you can hold chicks. my mother has said otherwise. i really need to know when to start handling chicks because soon im gonna get my own few cochins to pay for and take care of.

I generally give them a day or so to relax and calm down after everything they go through up until you get them home. But after that I handle them all the time, starting from less than a week old.

The ones I hatch myself I handle once they're able to walk around without falling on their face every two steps, which is usually a couple days old.

I'm a 22 year old girl, and I absolutely love chickies, too. That's why I keep buying and hatching them.

Just got these today:

And hatched these today, waiting for one more to hatch:

Hey, guys, this is mom. I just saw my Fight of Fancy profile being used by my youngest when I was emailed replies. She is very excited and we just had the internet message board danger discussion and how you never know where it comes from... And that she can always ask mom most chickie questions. I really really want to say thank you to those who were warm and welcoming to my lil' girl.

Anyhoo, we are actually not newbs I used to post here (quite a lot) years ago as Miss Amara "the henbassador" before this place changed up, dropped my profile, and before I lost my farm due to illness. I even got married out at Carla's TX (allenwranch) place 2006 chickenstock and had our 8th anniversary last month. We are now in Kansas and we have just bought a place out in the country again and even have a starter flock that the youngest is obviously pumped about. I will be checking into letting her have her own profile so she can interact and I can monitor. Either way I told her depending on how well she does with our starters and how well she listens and learns will decide whether or not I let her have her own trio or more. She seems as obsessed as her mom so I am sure she will have at least a trio of cochins mixing it up in my yard soon!

Thanks guys. I'm sorry I haven't actually posted myself before now but 7-8 years later I don't even know if I know anyone here anymore... :p

Back
Top Bottom