Gold Laced Orpington- For Learning and Sharing

Is this a roosteror hen?

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    975.1 KB · Views: 17
Is this a roosteror hen?
I can't tell. But that is a beautiful bird. I had a buff orpington and he was almost 4 months old before I found out he was a male. He didn't really have a comb or wattle until then and was 17 weeks before he crowed. Our little bantam roo had no idea he was a cockerel either & was flirting w him. We were in denial until he started mating w our hens.

I can't tell. But that is a beautiful bird. I had a buff orpington and he was almost 4 months old before I found out he was a male. He didn't really have a comb or wattle until then and was 17 weeks before he crowed. Our little bantam roo had no idea he was a cockerel either & was flirting w him. We were in denial until he started mating w our hens.
Probably about 17 weeks,

Probably about 17 weeks, all the others we hatched at the same time, different breeds, have started to crow. This one is the only one I'm still on the fence about. Some days I think hen and others roo!?

About 16-17 weeks. No crowing yet, I really was thinking hen, but the neck feathers seem to be getting oranger and more sold like most of the roo pics I've seen.

Hi, where i live there aren't many people developing gold laced Orpingtons. I have a blue orp rooster and black and blue hens. Was looking at how to start developing gold laced. Would i be able to buy a trio of gold laced wyandottes and put the rooster over my 2 orp hens and put my blue orp rooster over the gold laced wyandotte hens as a starting point? Any advice appreciated. It may be covered earlier in this post i just didnt have time going through the 60 pages thank you.

Samc89 It is so easy to ship chicks or birds and the cost has come down a lot in the last couple of years. Unless you really just want a project, it would take years for you to get back to Orpington type. I have not looked at the genetics calculator so I don't even know if it would be possible with your combination to get gold laced. You then have to worry about comb type and skin color. It would be much easier to find a good breeder of Orpingtons and buy ready made. Take it from someone who started their own Golden Laced Orpingtons 10+ years ago.

Back
Top Bottom