Gold laced wyandottes 7 weeks

vintagechick

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
I have two gold laced wyandottes that are now 7 weeks. One is quite larger than the other and is starting to get really rosy or red in the comb and waddle area. The thing that keeps me confused however, is that the two remain almost identical in feathering. And the one that I was starting to suspect was a roo still very much (at least to my beginner eye) looks like a pullet in coloring. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bird #1 is Rolo, the roo suspect:

Bird #2 is Reeses, much smaller but almost identical except for color of comb. Also much more skittish so pictures were a bit more difficult.

For the record these are feed store birds so of course they were sexed as pullets which I do realize means a whole lot of nothing because I've already had to get rid of one roo that I got from the same batch of chicks I got that day. They really should stop advertising their "accuracy" percentages lol!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

Sad. 2 of 8 so far have been cockerels. Who knows what the final numbers will be. It just kills me because the store owner said "oh yeah.. every once in a while someone will get a rooster, but it really doesn't happen that often". Really?? My sister got chicks that day too and also ended up with a cockerel. So it's either one of three things... he's a liar, or no ones informing him when they get roos, orrrr my sister and I need to go buy some lottery tickets ASAP!! Lol!!

I have two gold laced wyandottes that are now 7 weeks. One is quite larger than the other and is starting to get really rosy or red in the comb and waddle area. The thing that keeps me confused however, is that the two remain almost identical in feathering. And the one that I was starting to suspect was a roo still very much (at least to my beginner eye) looks like a pullet in coloring. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bird #1 is Rolo, the roo suspect:

Bird #2 is Reeses, much smaller but almost identical except for color of comb. Also much more skittish so pictures were a bit more difficult.

For the record these are feed store birds so of course they were sexed as pullets which I do realize means a whole lot of nothing because I've already had to get rid of one roo that I got from the same batch of chicks I got that day. They really should stop advertising their "accuracy" percentages lol!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!
idk, they both look like pullets to me. usually the cockerals have different coloring at the shoulders. I have a hen that I thought was a boy up until she started laying.

My Golden Laced Wyandottes are 6 weeks old. I have suspicions about one or two. I have eight altogether. Good luck with yours. I'll be posting pictures soon.

idk, they both look like pullets to me. usually the cockerals have different coloring at the shoulders.  I have a hen that I thought was a boy up until she started laying.

This is exactly why I've been so hesitant to make the call on this one. I think I'm just going to sit tight and wait it out. Maybe post more pics in the coming weeks. They're really sweet birds so I'd love to be able to keep them. The first one, Rolo though I'm a bit worried that despite not seeing rooster coloring I might be seeing the beginnings of the saddle feathers coming in. Ah the mysteries of the chicken!!

My Golden Laced Wyandottes are 6 weeks old.  I have suspicions about one or two.  I have eight altogether.  Good luck with yours.  I'll be posting pictures soon.

Yeah I had 8 as well, but a mixed flock. One very obvious Easter egger cockerel has been rehomed so now I'm down to 7. These were my only 2 wyandottes. They're such beautiful birds I really hope at least one turns out to be a hen. I look forward to your pictures! I love chick pics!!
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom