gold pencilled hamburg

duck mad 2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
hi do gold pencilled hamburg make good pets? iv fallen in love with them, are they a loud chicken? i dont want any cockerels, going to buy older birds so i know they are defo hens, any information on them will be fab
thanks xx

I have just brought into some gold pencilled hamburgs, they are always the first to come and see me! They are fairly flighty, but lay a nice sized egg. My Hamburgs only really like being with my other Hamburgs, they especially don't like being with my Vorwerks!

Quote:
both variety coexist on the breed, the Only difference between of them is one single gene, that makes a huge difference in looks, Gold Pencilled are eb s+ Db - Pg, Gold spangled are eb s+ Db - Ml - Pg

Here's Miracle, our Golden Penciled Hamburg hen. She is the only survivor of the mysterious disappearance of our flock of 8 hens, 1 rooster and 7 half-grown chicks in the course of a day while we were away from our woodsy estate in Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada, where they had all thrived (free-range in the daytime, safely housed at night) for over a year without incident. We never found any signs of mayhem (feathers or gore) so as far as we know they all just got tired of hanging around and took off to see the world. (Probably not.) Miracle was loathe to go near the old henhouse until recently; she roosts in a tree (agile girl!) and comes around the house to get fed and for company, it seems. (Lately she has taken to hanging out with our certified duck-killing poodle, who appears to have gotten the message that Miracle is very off-limits.) This morning she came into the house through the front door, so I could trap her if I wanted; but to what end? She will now enter the old henhouse, so whatever trauma occurred there seems to be fading. Anyway, what she really needs is a male friend, I think; but GPH roosters are hard to find in these parts. Anyone have a suggestion as to how we might remedy this situation and provide Miracle with some companionship?

Back
Top Bottom