gold sex-link question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smallcitychick, Apr 13, 2011.

1. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    Last week we picked up 10 gold sex-link chicks. This week they're starting to get their wing feathers and a few tiny tail feathers, and I noticed something interesting. Nine of the GSL pullets have wing/tail feathers that are a solid buff/gold color, but one chick has different coloring. Her wings and tail feathers are coming in with brown stripes. I can post pics if you need me too....Anyway, what would cause that, just hatched from a different parent matching? All of the GSL pics that I've come up with on this site and online show gold hens with splotches of white, or solid gold, nothing with the striped wings/tails, anyone have a picture of an adult feathered out this way?

2. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    bumping to see if anyone knows the answer [​IMG]

3. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I am bumping your question because I have the same situation! I have one golden sex link chick that is pretty much all solid in color and one that is the same color except she has striped brown wings.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sex links "take" the crossed color of their parent stock in different ways. Get 25 pullets and you'll have the majority colored in a somewhat similar manner, but there will always be 25% of them that are far more one color or the other of the parent stock. Certainly not uniform. Just the way it appears to me, in my experience.

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    how about a picture.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by