Gold sex-linked... rooster?

casprl

Hatching
Aug 8, 2020
Hi all,
We purchased three gold sex-linked chicks from our local Feed and Seed back in April. As they grew, I suspected one was a rooster (now named Rhubarb) due to his feather coloring, and thought my suspicions were confirmed due to "his" bigger comb and wattle. He also has a slightly different crowing than his sex-linked sisters, and he will run up to me and do the submissive squatting. Is he just a really gentle, submissive rooster, or is "he" perhaps really a "she"? I have found a few tiny brown eggs that are definitely from the younger ladies (we have a few older Easter Eggers who lay blue eggs), but I cannot be sure who from the sex-linked actually laid them.

I have pictures of Rhubarb attached (with his Easter Egger sister next to him). The first picture is him squatting and getting some scratches. The last one has his sex-linked sisters in it as well as a comparison of their feather coloring (the two reds).

Any insight or thoughts appreciated!
IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2984.JPG IMG_2982.JPG IMG_2942.JPG

That is a very pretty female.

A male would be crowing not squatting. A male would also be predominantly white with red patches on the shoulders. That lady is very evenly colored and 100% female.

Awesome, thanks! I am only about a year into raising chickens and we have only had Easter Eggers thus far, so am learning lots about new breeds/characteristics. I appreciate your quick responses!

Hi all,
We purchased three gold sex-linked chicks from our local Feed and Seed back in April. As they grew, I suspected one was a rooster (now named Rhubarb) due to his feather coloring, and thought my suspicions were confirmed due to "his" bigger comb and wattle. He also has a slightly different crowing than his sex-linked sisters, and he will run up to me and do the submissive squatting. Is he just a really gentle, submissive rooster, or is "he" perhaps really a "she"? I have found a few tiny brown eggs that are definitely from the younger ladies (we have a few older Easter Eggers who lay blue eggs), but I cannot be sure who from the sex-linked actually laid them.

I have pictures of Rhubarb attached (with his Easter Egger sister next to him). The first picture is him squatting and getting some scratches. The last one has his sex-linked sisters in it as well as a comparison of their feather coloring (the two reds).

Any insight or thoughts appreciated!
View attachment 2281629View attachment 2281630View attachment 2281632View attachment 2281633View attachment 2281634
It isn’t submissive squatting, it is squatting to let a rooster mount them.
Shes a girl, very close to lay.

If squatting its a pullet getting ready to lay i can see why you confused looking at her but their combs and wattles become more prominent when they at point of lay hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom