Gold Sex Links?

AnnieSantiago

Songster
6 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Hi there. I'm returning after a 2 year hiatus. Happy to be back.

I bought 3 pullets today said to be Gold Sex Links. I got them at a good price but was a little sad after doing some research and learning they only are expected to live about 2 years. But, live and learn. The guy was awfully nice and they're organically fed chooks.

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Anyway, here are photos of my new girls exploring their new home.

Any advice on caring for this breed will be welcomed.

They're said to be 20 weeks, but I don't see much of a comb/wattle so not sure when they'll begin laying.

They do look like some version of red sex links. The few I have had were very productive but short lived. Some can live longer but they seem predisposed to reproductive cancers from what I have read. I would feed them a higher protein feed than the typical layer as they can become protein deficit due to their higher production. I recommend 18-22%. A all flock ration is a good option. Keep a separate dish of oyster shells free choice for the extra calcium needs.

They do appear to be some sort of Red sex-link. I have had them and mine lived for 3 years, but the reason they died was because of a predator not due to sickness. They were very healthy girls.

I wonder if you can slow down their laying ,having them get somewhat less light a day. Maybe less eggs when young would prevent some of the reproductive problems when they are somewhat older.

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Adding a final 2 girls to my flock today.
A Blue Lace Wyandotte and a Barred Rock.

I'm curious what the Blue Lace Wyandotte will look like when she's grown.
I can't find a straight "blue lace wyandotte" online... only silver, red, versions.

I need to get out there tonight and clip some wings (or in the morning).
Those stinkers got out of the run today and it was heck catching them!

Last edited:
Hi there. I'm returning after a 2 year hiatus. Happy to be back.

I bought 3 pullets today said to be Gold Sex Links. I got them at a good price but was a little sad after doing some research and learning they only are expected to live about 2 years. But, live and learn. The guy was awfully nice and they're organically fed chooks.

View attachment 1034926 View attachment 1034927

Anyway, here are photos of my new girls exploring their new home.

Any advice on caring for this breed will be welcomed.

They're said to be 20 weeks, but I don't see much of a comb/wattle so not sure when they'll begin laying.
Some live to be five years I heard!

Back
Top Bottom