Golden Comet hen - possible infection- please help :'(

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
Our golden comet hen seems to be a favorite among the roos..they all jump on her, no one else, just her. they've ripped all her feathers off, and they even torn up 2 hen aprons
hmm.png
now she has two quarter sized infection looking spots on her side...and I'm so worried. Here lately i've been busy with school and havent really been able to do much chicken bussiness.
But I went out there today to check up on them, and I saw her in a corner hiding, so i picked her up and thats what i found. The sores are a green/brown color and one was ozing something
Is there anything we can do? :'(

32457_chickenbooboo.jpg

32457_chickbooboo2.jpg

id put some kind of antibiotic like neosporin on it and she'll probably be fine, but your gonna have to keep her seperate from the roosters and posibly rehome one of them or continue to keep them seperate. hope that helps

Thank You! We ended up with too many roosters this year, and can't give the darn things away! lol My mom is trying to find a place that will magically turn them into "freezer chickens!"

Quote:
Good luck with that! My processor quit so I cant get mine done either! I built a saparate pen for my roos for the winter...I have ha hens like that--they get better--it just takes time...and no roos for a while!

Blue Kote from Tractor Supply is great stuff to use. It helps with feather picking too. I had two hens that had feathers gone from roos so I got rid of them but they still had no feathers. I guess the other hens were picking any off that they saw. I put Blue Kote on them and BAM Ive got new feathers in like a couple weeks. Plus is good for wounds too. Good luck.

Last edited:
the sores seem to be healing up some
smile.png

shes in a dog cage that we used for our German Shepherd
i put vitamins in her water, and i mixed layer feed and chick crumble in there
i put some neosporin on her this morning
hope this clears up soon, her little buff orp/australorp mix friend is really missing her and even sleeps next to the cage
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom