Golden Comet just started wheezing tonight. need help.

littlemissjellyfish

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Maine
My girls were free ranging all day today. After they put themselves in the coop around 4:30pm, I went out to close the coop door and to see them settled in for the night. I heard a strange noise exactly like this
coming from my Golden Comet and brought her inside for a better look! She not attempting to eat or drink and when I feel her throat where the wheezing noise seems to be coming from I feel a smallish lump. Im not sure if this the normal part of a chickens anatomy ( perhaps her voicebox?) I tried to look down her throat which was impossible! I gave her a bit of olive oil which she did ingest and made a funny cough and shook her head. I'm not sure if it is gapeworm or a viral infection. She is resting in the dog kennel, but still wheezing. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

P.S. None of my other chickens have had been acting like this.

What you're probably feeling when you try to feel her throat is her neck. I know that sounds weird, but chickens have freakishly long necks that they "fold in" a lot of the time, so that it appears as though there's a lump where there isn't. You'd have to have her neck fully extended to feel it properly, which can be difficult to do if your bird doesn't want to cooperate.
barnie.gif

I would separate her out, keep her warm in a dark place so she can relax, give her vitamins and electrolytes, and make sure she eats and drinks over the next little while (tonight and tomorrow). You can try coaxing her with special food and drink (I give my sick chickies gatorade in their water, esp if I've added something else that they don't like the taste of, like vitamins. Also, you can usually coax a sick chicken to eat with scrambled eggs or mealy worms.)

From what you've described, there's not a lot to go on, so it could be any number of things.
You may end up having to look down her throat, which she will hate and is tricky, but my advice is to not worry about it until it comes to that.

One question: how does she feel about being in the kennel away from the other birds? As in, is she complaining or trying to get out, or is she just resting? That will tell me a lot about her state of being.

Thank you for responding. She didn't like being taken out of the coop, but once inside she isn't fussing. She is calmer in the dark and is resting although still wheezing. I didn't want to stress her out with more poking and prodding, so hopefully she will live out the night and I can make her a good chicken breakfast.

I got Sulmet from the local feed store and added it to their water. It cures all kinds of poultry viruses, especially respiratory stuff. Another option is tetracycline which can be purchased at most pet stores. It is usually used for caged birds who have upper respiratory problems. Good luck!

I got Sulmet from the local feed store and added it to their water.  It cures all kinds of poultry viruses, especially respiratory stuff.  Another option is tetracycline which can be purchased at most pet stores.  It is usually used for caged birds who have upper respiratory problems.  Good luck!

OOPS, you cannot "cure" viruses, you can cure bacteria....Upper respritory infections are caused by bacteria and the best course of treatment is antibiotics either in the water or by IM injections.
If she does not improve OR gets worse after two days of Sulmet it is time to change meds and go with TYLAN50 injections. 1cc once a day for 4 days. IF this doesn't stop the wheeze after 2-3 days then you should go to the Oxytetracycline 1cc once a day for four days.
Hope that helps.

This morning Nancy was standing up in the kennel actiing VERY perky and not wheezing!!!! YAY!!!!! Late last night, I remembered I had some Baytril so I administered a dose before bed. Not sure if it was the meds that helped or not. I will pick up Sulmet today for preventative measures. I will give 1 more dose ( she had her dose today) of the Baytril. 3-5 days being what was prescribed on the label from the vet.

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it!!!
Heather

Back
Top Bottom